This role is responsible for coordinating the siting activities to identify the most suitable locations for transmission lines and substations and supports the siting team's decision in necessary regulatory hearings, approvals, and/or landowner negotiations. The multi-million dollar electric transmission projects can range from small scale to hundreds of miles in length traversing multiple states. Understand the full range of issues related to the successful siting of a transmission project and will be accountable for making sound recommendations and decisions. Areas of required expertise include environmental (cultural, natural and visual resource assessment), utility corridor siting (utility regulatory requirements, stakeholder interaction, and permitting requirements), GIS, and project management. Some overnight travel to facilities and projects (fieldwork) is required periodically. Position requires some travel and exposure to situations, which require knowledge, understanding, and adherence to applicable safety procedures, and the ability to hike one to three miles. Overnight stays could be 2-3 nights a month. Traveling consists of site visits, training, and meetings. Hours are M-F, eight-hour days, with some longer to meet deadlines. 20 to 30 % of travel time associated with this position. Personal Vehicle use will be required to complete some of the job duties. Mileage is reimbursable. No per diem. Must maintain a valid DL.
- Ensure that transmission siting activities are performed in accordance with the policies, practices and standards of the Company and regulations and procedures as required by federal, state or local regulatory agencies.
- Work interdependently with a multidisciplinary project team through a logical and legally defensible siting process to identify buildable and cost-effective routes and facilities which minimize environmental impacts.
- Archive information gathered and document the rationale for the selection of the route or site for use in regulatory proceedings, permitting efforts, and landowner negotiations.
- Identify and manage siting risks to the overall project scopes, schedules, and budgets.
- Develop and monitor siting tasks, cost estimates and schedules.
- Prepare siting study reports, risk assessments and related GIS constraint mapping.
- Coordinate with regulatory agencies, local officials, and the general public to gather information about sensitive features in the study area.
- Oversee the oversight of outsourcing related to siting.
- Coordinate regulatory and local zoning applications (writing, exhibits, testimony, interrogatories, schedule, etc.)
- Participate in stakeholder meetings and public workshops.
- Assist in preparing testimony and testify before federal, state and local agencies concerning transmission routing and substation siting.
- Organize and facilitate project meetings related to siting.
- Assist in evaluating the impact of proposed legislation and regulations on transmission projects and provide input to the development process.
- Build networks that extend through the company and other companies, and regulatory agencies.
- Improve standardization and process development.
- Make presentations to civic groups, property owners, regulatory agencies, and company employees.
- Conduct field reconnaissance to evaluate proposed route alignments and potential impacts.
- Solid understanding of transmission line, station, and planning technical concepts and construction processes.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Environmental science, Urban Planning, GIS, or related field.
- A minimum of either 5-10 years total industry experience or minimally 6 years experience working as a Transmission Siting Specialist. Proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS, Microsoft Office computer applications is desired.
- The ability to work with and within a diverse team is a must. Excellent written, organizational, presentation, oral communication and time management skills.
- The ability to handle multiple projects and assignments is critical.
- Must have a valid driver's license.
Experis is a global leader in professional resourcing and project-based workforce solutions. We deliver in-demand talent for mission-critical positions, enhancing the competitiveness of the organizations and people we serve. Our goal is to maintain a positive candidate and client experience through fitting the best candidates with the best positions.