The VSAT Field Service Technician is expected to provide mid-level system installation, commissioning, testing, and maintenance for Expedition Communications’ customer products and services overseas, onshore, and offshore as appropriate.
This is a permanent, exempt, position reporting directly to the Regional Field Service Manager.
GENERAL POSITION CHARACTERISTICS
A Field Service Technician must be an enthusiastic team player and leader, able to successfully bring people, processes, and skills together from a varied technical background to ensure outstanding execution of client technology implementations. This role will involve working with clients, contractors, internal resources, Project Managers and Project Coordinators to successfully and safely deliver VSAT systems, network devices and support services as required. The employee may also perform highly complex technical assignments as directed by leadership. Background verification and random drug screening are required for hire and continued employment. This position is based on the U.S. mainland (CONUS).
1. Assembly, installation, troubleshooting, testing, commissioning and maintenance of fixed and stabilized satellite systems and equipment, including: iDirect, Comtech and Viasat VSAT systems. Seatel stabilized antennas and Radomes, Auto/Quick Deploy Units.
2. Provide assistance to other Field personnel during the installation, commissioning and maintenance of fixed and stabilized satellite systems
3. Provide technical support and supervision of Field personnel and contractors, including on the job training where appropriate
4. Assist with the problem solving of technical issues within the company
5. Travel to customers sites overseas, onshore and offshore, often at short notice
6. Comply with all safety requirements implemented by employer, customers, facility owners or vendors involved in assigned tasks
7. Complete all required paperwork accurately, legibly and obtain proper approvals from job site location management
8. Communicate job progress to Expedition Communications Project Managers and Coordinators and Customer Technical Services
9. Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to interact within all levels of an organization
10. Ability to work to meet both customer and company demands within a short timeframe
11. Interacts with internal and external personnel in a professional and ethical manner
DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
1) Associates Degree in Electronic/Engineering/Telecom or data networks preferred
2) Good communication skills (written and verbal)
3) 3-5 years of experience in Radio Frequency (RF) communications systems
4) Minimum 2 years of experience working with VSAT systems and related equipment
5) At least 2 years of experience in proper usage of a variety of hand tools
6) Ability to install, commission, and troubleshoot VSAT systems and equipment preferred
7) Familiar with the use of a range of suitable test equipment including Spectrum Analyzers, BERT testers, Watt meters etc.
8) Familiar with install and fault find on typical maritime installations. (LOS, VHF, UHF)
9) Previous experience with PBX/VOIP, route/switch, TCP/IP, PA and radio systems preferred
10) Experienced in data center, structure cabling and 66 block wire/cable management, labeling-marking-tagging
11) Knowledge and proficient with EIA/TIA cable and conduit installation standards
12) Familiar with Safety/Security – as applicable for all phases of project, OSHA and GOM (Gulf of Mexico) requirements (Water Survival, HUET, TWIC, etc.
13) Experienced with Dispatch/Service Management software a plus
14) Regular domestic and international travel requires ability to obtain a passport
15) Must be able to pass Commercial and Federal TSA, FAA, and DoD background investigations to obtain private, TWIC, CBIDS or JPAS identification cards
16) Ability to accurately calculate distances, circumference, percentages, square footage, building/room dimensions
17) Type a minimum of 45 WPM
18) Experienced in MS Office programs, specifically Word and Excel
19) Must have authorization to work in the U.S. and a valid US Driver’s license with clean MVR for previous 5 years
20) Lift operator’s certification preferred
COMPANY CONFORMANCE STATEMENT
In performance of their respective responsibilities, all employees of Expedition Communications are expected to:
1) Complete quality work within deadlines
2) Interact professionally with other employees, customers and suppliers
3) Work effectively as a team contributor on all assignments
4) Communicate and coordinate work efforts with other employees, customers and suppliers
5) Perform other duties as assigned
6) Attend work regularly based on the assigned schedule
1) Typical construction site conditions with full exposure to weather and/or interior industrial/telco/data center spaces
2) Regular lifting in excess of 75 lbs., bending, crouching, kneeling, lifting, climbing, pulling and working with gas, electric or battery powered equipment in various weather conditions, onshore or at sea
3) On-call twenty-four (24) hour, seven (7) days a week, except for periods designated by the Chief Operations Officer
4) Regular domestic and international travel required