The Registered Dental Assistant performs a variety of dental assisting duties while promoting a safe and cleanly environment for quality dental care. These duties include, but are not limited to, assisting the doctor; teaching the patients how to care for their teeth; communicating effectively with patients (or parents if patient is a child); maintaining equipment and inventory; cleaning, sterilizing, and packaging instruments; and following universal precautions, OSHA requirements, and dental board auxiliaries’ regulations.
Registered Dental Assistant Work Schedule
The Registered Dental Assistant will be notified of the work schedule on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis. The Registered Dental Assistant’s schedule is subject to change (daily/weekly hours may increase or decrease) according to the needs of the practice. Evening and weekend hours may be required. This position is paid on an hourly basis.
Registered Dental Assistant Essential Duties/Responsibilities
- Provide oral hygiene education to patient and family
- Perform certain authorized procedures under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist; such procedures shall be checked and approved by the supervising dentist.
- Accurately and completely document patient care activities in the chart as directed by the doctor and Company policy
- Take x-rays as prescribed by the doctor
- Clean the film processor; replace developer & fixer on a weekly basis.
- Clean and sanitize the "Dark Room" and “x-ray room" (walls, floor, ceiling, etc.) and report problems to floor supervisor
- Prepare operatories for various procedures
- Prepare trays for various procedures
- Ensure that operatories are stocked and cleaned at all times
- Check for patients’ signatures on the Health Questionnaire and Informed Consent Form
- Explain treatment plans to patients as needed
- Escort patients to the front office area for patient dismissal when treatment is completed, and inform the receptionist when and for what their next visit must be scheduled
- Apply all-wrap in and around operatories where needed
- Clean, sterilize, and package dental instruments
- Prepare lab cases
- Assist Floor Supervisor in ordering supplies and instruments
- Clean and maintain all equipment in accordance with the maintenance guidelines
- Turn off all equipment nightly, including the vacuum, compressor, etc.
- Ensure that handpieces are properly cleaned and oiled
- Review the Hazard Communication book and sign the training log
- Ensure that hazardous products are properly labeled
- Follow waste disposal procedures for Sharps and for contaminated material/chemicals.
- Compliance with state and Federal infection control standards in the dental office and operatories, including but not limited to: wearing protective barriers such as gloves, scrubs, and eyewear; disinfecting and sterilizing instruments and treatment areas; and disposing properly of contaminated or bio-hazardous waste/materials.
Registered Dental Assistant Other duties and Requirements
- Follow-up with the lab and maintain a log on partials and remakes.
- Check next day appointment schedule for all lab cases and verify that they are ready, if not, see that the patient is rescheduled
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and team huddles
- Other duties as assigned by the Office Manager, Regional Manager, and/or Dentist