Responsible for maintaining a healthy, safe and therapeutic environment for individuals served and following through on their individual plans of care.
Essential Job Functions
- Contribute to and actively participate in the planning and actualization of daily projects
- Update the Medical Program Coordinator and other staff regarding health related problems of the individual served; discuss reason for treatments, medications, etc. with the Medical Program Coordinator.
- Assist in educating all staff so they may better understand conditions of the individuals served.
- Participate in the education of self and other staff members.
- Assess individual served health needs and situations that have potential to cause problematic health issues. Record findings on all appropriate nurse notes each shift.
- Assist with medical QA checks upon request.
- Contribute health-related input to the ISP (Individual Support Plan) as indicated and upon request.
- Attend ISP and Circle of Support (COS) meetings as requested.
- Assist in compilation of monthly summaries on individuals served.
- Monitor and provide reports of seizures to the RN Healthcare Coordinator. Assist in seizure data gathering as applicable.
- Serve as the Liaison nurse for the individual served, assisting the Medical Program Coordinator in making nursing decisions and judgments.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and utilizes infection control procedures.
- Communicate with physicians as needed regarding health related issues.
- Accompany individuals served to physician visits; obtain and provide needed information; route orders back to the Medical Program Coordinator immediately after all visit.
- Assure the top of a Physician Consultation Form is completed and taken to all appointments.
- Review and maintain all incoming physician orders in the client chart. Communicate any/all new orders to the oncoming shift nurse, i.e., give a shift to shift report to the oncoming nurse.
- Administer all medications according to best practice guidelines, adhering to DIDS protocols for Medication administration.
- Provide tube feeding treatments and other skilled nursing treatments such as wound care, respiratory treatments, etc. for the individual served. Follow MAR and Physician orders.
- Review the quality and quantity of health-related documentation upon arrival to the work site, assuring that the previous shift nurse has documented properly and alerting the Medical Program Coordinator if there are deficiencies in any nurse’s documentation.
- Generate and route incident reports to Evergreen management as needed.
- Compile medication error reports and route to the Medical Program Coordinator no later than the next day following incident.
- File health related documents in the individuals served health records in the home.
- Route all expired and discontinued medications to the Medical Program Coordinator for disposal.
- Assist with reviewing and double-checking the MARS at the beginning of the month, checking for corrections, placing reasons for meds, times and other pertinent information on the MAR., etc.
- Attend appropriate in-services and staff meetings as directed.
- Become familiar with and comply with state and federal regulations as they pertain to the job position and work environment. Cooperate with state survey teams and other state officials as requested and as applicable.
- Report concerns of client abuse, neglect and mistreatment immediately and according to protocol.
- Obtain and record monthly weights and daily vital signs if indicated.
- Assist in the gathering of data for the annual risk assessment.
- Maintain all medical information in the file in an organized manner.
- Reorder all creams, topical and powders from the pharmacist as needed. (These are not routinely sent by the pharmacy; you must call them and let them know when you are running low.
- Ensure the health and welfare of the individuals served
- Assist individuals served with medication and treatment plans as needed
- Complete all required documentation in accordance with applicable state agency(ies) and Evergreen Presbyterian Ministries, Inc. policies and procedures
- Provide individuals served transportation in company or personal vehicle as requested
- Must be a graduate of an approved Licensed Practical Nursing Program
- Minimum of one (1) year clinically relevant experience required. Experience working with elderly, or intellectually disabled individuals.
- Must have knowledge of and technical skills of medical nursing procedures, first aid and basic principles of nursing.
- Must know or learn about intellectual and developmental disabilities, seizure disorders, Autism and other associated diagnoses pertaining to the field of intellectual disabilities and geriatrics.
- Frequent travel
- Constantly moves about to coordinate work
- Regularly assist consumers physically by lifting and positioning them as appropriate
- Occasionally moves and positions objects weighing up to 50 pounds
- Frequent exposed to viruses and infectious conditions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities or a medical condition to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to meet the public in a manner that reflects creditably upon the organization and must have the ability to deal with individuals served and staff in a manner that is conducive to harmony and their best efforts
- Must be adaptable and have the ability to make decisions
- May be required to attend seminar or job-related training courses
- Must have understanding, patience and tact in dealing with individuals served, their families or advocates and other agencies involved in providing supports for individuals served
- Must have the ability to maintain good working relationships with Evergreen staff and with contacts from other agencies or entities
- Must be able to prioritize work tasks
- Must be able to work without close personal supervision
Must have a good driving record which meets the minimum requirements for Evergreen and reliable transportation. Must pass drug screen and criminal background check. Must be able to work some evenings when required.
May be required to work in a variety of settings and environments both indoors and outdoors.