Director of Worship
Job Description, September 2020
This person will work in partnership with the Lead Pastor to cast vision, develop philosophy of Worship, develop creative elements, plan special services, enhance worship environment, direct and enhance all aspects of our congregation’s worship life. This person will effectively and creatively lead us to pursue Christ with passion in our worship services and to grow us as worshippers of God in all of life. This person will be hired for a full-time position. The compensation package for this position will include salary and benefits. This person is directly responsible to the Lead Pastor.
1. To be a team player able to work cohesively with the church, other staff and volunteers.
2. To have pleasant and engaging interpersonal skills, possessing a good sense of humor and a positive, “can do” attitude.
3. To have wisdom to avoid settings and activities in which personal integrity and the integrity of the church could be damaged.
4. Relate positively and effectively with staff, church leadership and the congregants they serve.
1. Love the Lord and have a committed, growing relationship with Him.
2. Love and respect Christ’s body, the Church.
3. Understand, respect and support the theological distinctives, statement of faith and discipleship process of Bemidji Covenant Church and the ECC. Be a member or actively pursuing membership at Bemidji Evangelical Covenant Church.
4. To have a servant heart.
5. To be a role model to other staff and lay volunteers.
1. To have the necessary training vocally, theologically, in leadership, time management and organizational skills to fulfill the duties described in this job description.
2. Experience in working well with multi-generations and different styles of worship.
3. Capable use of graphic design software and video editing software.
4. Creative work, set priorities, create and maintain systems and motivate others.
5. Be self-initiated to pace and complete tasks independently during the week.
6. To be teachable and seek ongoing personal and professional skill development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This person will effectively administer all aspects of the worship ministry and develop teams that assist you in the duties and responsibilities under the authority of the Congregation through the Lead Pastor and Leadership Team.
1. Worship Services:
- Work with Lead Pastor to develop and continually refine a Biblical Philosophy of worship including both the devotional and the missional nature of corporate worship.
- Develop worship services that reflect the established Philosophy of Worship.
- Creatively and consistently teach the congregation to understand and worship within the established Philosophy of Worship.
- Maximize the ministry of all worship services regularly implementing creative elements in the worship experience.
- Plan weekly and special services in partnership with the Lead Pastor.
- Lead weekly production meetings.
- Lead Sunday morning huddle & services.
- Lead weekly rehearsals.
- Oversee scheduling of musicians.
- Oversee the scheduling of scripture readers, communion prep team & servers, stage hands and other volunteers.
- Oversee the weekly slides.
- Oversee the weekly disseminating of music folders.
- Responsible for the recruitment, auditions, training and developing of all worship teams (instrumentalists and vocalists).
- Work regularly to recruit and audition additional instrumentalists and vocalists for all services.
- Oversee all printed material needed by worship teams weekly.
3. Tech Ministry teams:
- Aids in the recruitment, training and developing all the tech ministry teams (sound, AVL, courtyard projection, stage setup, etc…).
- Establish with the Lead Pastor the philosophy of sound and AVL and other creative elements in the worship ministry.
4. Worship Alignment Team: (Lay ministry team that helps guide and direct the vision for worship.)
- Use the job description for the Worship Alignment team as your guide which includes the role for each person on this team.
- Along with the Lead Pastor, Alignment team chair establish agendas, schedule and come alongside the Alignment team chairperson as they lead the meetings.
- Delegate responsibilities as necessary to Alignment team members.
- Recruit additional Alignment team members as Worship ministry needs grow.
5. Development Teams: (Lay ministry teams that plan and execute the vision.)
- Oversee the recruitment of development teams with the assistance of the Worship Alignment team to cover areas of need (Décor, Communion servers, Communion prep team, Scripture readers, Stage hands, New Connection ministries, etc…).
- This person will be responsible for the management and oversight of all scheduling (Musicians, scripture readers, projection, sound, video, communion servers, stage hands, auditions, training for AVL, team building events, etc…).
Work in collaboration with the Director of Communication and Technology in the ordering of (Equipment, replacement parts, returns, decorations for special events and all invoices to the office manager).
- Oversee the production of scripture reading instructions.
- Oversee Compass worship.
- Oversee the New Connections Alignment team (Ushers, welcomers, 1st impressions, Information Center, Section friends).
- Agree with and adhere to the employee handbook.
- Pass a background check.
- Other duties as assigned by Lead Pastor.
Terms of Hire:
The Director of Worship position is hired by the Lead Pastor
Exempt, At Will, Employee of the Church
- Not entitled to paid overtime
- Removal from position is the discretion of the Lead Pastor
- State & Federal taxes are withheld from paychecks
- Reports to the Lead Pastor
- Works directly with the Lead Pastor
- Hours: This person will be hired for a full-time position. It calls for working 40 hours (plus) per week. One is expected to manage their schedule professionally and accountably.
- Compensation: The compensation package for this position will include salary and benefits including vacation pay, individual health insurance and pension. Compensations will be discussed on an individual basis and reviewed annually as part of the setting of the annual church budget.
40 + hours/week,$18-22/hour (based on experience)
Property: Church owned desktop computer
Vacation: See Employee Handbook Sick/Personal Days: See Employee Handbook
Additional benefits: See Employee Handbook
- Expense Allowance: Ministry expenses (meals, mileage, subscriptions, etc.) may be reimbursed with receipt per a budgeted expense allowance.
- Expected Working Days: Sunday through Thursday unless prior approval is given by the Lead Pastor.
To apply, download an application from bemidjicovenant.com/jobs and submit it to email@example.com
Evangelical Covenant Church
Why Work Here?Evangelical Covenant Church
You will be working with a great group of people that are hard working and desire to serve others. Competitive salary & Benefits included.