Position: Materials Buyer
Reports to: Production Manager Direct Reports: 0
Procurement of raw materials, packaging, MRO items and services for manufacturing and warehouse operations (with the exception of factored inventory items). Manage vendors across multiple categories of spend. Collaborate with other departments to ensure business goals are met.
1. Generate and issue Purchase Orders for raw materials & services related to Injection Molding, Die Cut and Dip Mold Operations. Expedite and reschedule same as required.
2. Negotiate price with vendor/suppliers on local material or supply orders. Submits RFP or RFQ to vendor/supplier for bidding. Assists with preferred vendor/supplier selection.
3. Process requisitions for MRO items generated by all other departments after obtaining approvals, in accordance with the Schedule of Authorities.
4. Obtain color matches and samples of resins/colorants, as well as SDS’s, TDS’s and Material Certs that are requested by Sales, Customer Service and Quality.
5. Update all pricing in the Vendor Quote Maintenance module for Purchasing.
Provide updated cost info to Planning for outside ops Routers.
6. Work with Accounting, Receiving and suppliers to resolve any receiving or invoice errors.
Help insure data integrity in MRP by reviewing Open Order Status and inventory adjustments on a routine basis.
7. Work with Regional Procurement Directors to achieve Corporate initiatives, i.e., consolidating vendors and cost containment. Report key metrics to Regional Procurement, as required, or monthly.
8. Manage vendors as it relates to ISO/TS Certification requirements. Insure all required Certs and Surveys are on file and Vendor Performance is reported/reviewed on a Quarterly basis.
9. Responsible for loading new Vendors into ERP system for multiple facilities (including employees and customers owed rebates), following approval from Accounting.
10. Reports Cap Ex spend activity to accounting staff monthly.
11. Take weekly or monthly meter readings on silos, leased copiers and gas meter and submit to appropriate authorities.
12. Work closely with Scheduling and Production staff to insure inventory levels support the company’s business objectives.
13. Assists with projects and miscellaneous data requests upon request.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or relevant field preferred.
- Good understanding and practical application of Word and Excel.
- Working knowledge of Standard Business Practices and ISO/TS requirements.
- Strong organizational skills required
- Solid - professional communication skills
- Knowledge of plastic resins a plus.
- CPP accreditation preferred
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Purchasing and Vendor Management required
- Prior experience in a Manufacturing environment, with several years MRP/ERP experience required