Our clients trust our skills and knowledge, and that's why they often turn to us first when they reassess internal control processes, evaluate the pending shift to international reporting standards, or even when they face major litigation or regulatory action. We are the largest of four service lines at EY and in the global Ernst & Young organization and proud of it! We audit more than 29% of the Fortune 1000, America's largest US companies.
The largest part of Assurance - our External Audit team - examines and attests to a company's financial statements through financial and internal control audits. You'll learn about financial statement processes, key business drivers, associated risks and their potential effects on financial statements. And you'll have the opportunity to work in diverse global teams with some of the world's largest companies as well as up-and-coming entrepreneurs across more than 25 industries. Our External Audit practice is organized into two main areas - our geographically-based regional practices, which provide services to a client base, depending on location, within the Automotive, Clean-tech, Consumer Products, Government & Public Sector, Health Care, Life Sciences, Media & Entertainment, Mining & Metals, Oil & Gas, Power & Utilities, Private Equity, Real Estate, Retail & Wholesale, Technology and Telecommunication, among others, and our Financial Services Office (FSO), which provides services to a client base within the Asset Management, Banking and Capital Markets and Insurance space. This structure is a differentiator in the market and allows candidates to choose a financial services industry preference early in their career - a unique opportunity within the public accounting industry.
An internship in our Assurance practice will provide you the opportunity to develop a working knowledge of the objectives of an audit. You will assist and collaborate with team members as you respond to client requests.
- Assist in the execution of audit procedures
- Perform various duties such as understanding routine data processes, testing controls and performing substantive procedures
- Analyze evidence, prepare written communications, participate in one-on-one and small group discussions with other engagement team members and interact with client personnel
- Understand how to operate effectively in a regulated environment
- Clearly and accurately document the execution of specific audit procedures as defined by the engagement objectives, client's engagement history and planned audit approach
To qualify, candidates must be or have:
- Pursing an undergraduate or graduate degree in accounting and/or an undergraduate or graduate degree with sufficient course work to achieve CPA certification upon passing the examination
- Actively preparing to pass the CPA examination
- A strong academic record, including, without limitation, course work that EY deems relevant to this position
- Flexible and willing to travel as well as work in excess of standard hours when necessary. The ability and willingness to travel is required
- A valid driver's license due to travel requirements
- Proficient in the English language, including the ability to listen, understand, read and communicate effectively both in writing and verbally in a professional environment
- Proficient with MS Office, MS Excel and MS PowerPoint, and Lotus Notes
- Willing and able to learn and work independently with minimal supervision, as well as take ownership and pride in work product
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective organization and time management skills with ability to work under pressure and adhere to project deadlines
- Integrity within a professional environment
Ernst & Young LLP, an equal opportunity employer, values the diversity of our workforce and the knowledge of our people.