The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) seeks a full time paralegal to work for our law office in Buffalo, NY which provides free civil legal services to low income people. We are looking to fill a paralegal position for our Buffalo office that will also coordinate our Attorney of the Morning (AOM) programs at Buffalo and Lackawanna City Courts.
- client screening/intake
- assist walk-in clients
- data entry – opening/closing/updating/maintenance of files
- coordination of volunteer attorneys
- general office support work – mail, phones, copying, scanning, faxing, etc.
- staff outreach activities as needed
- other duties may be assigned
AOM Coordinator Responsibilities:
- work with our Housing Attorney to coordinate VLP’s Attorney of the Morning (AOM) program held at Buffalo City Court (every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) and Lackawanna City Court (every other Thursday)
- Conduct client intake interviews and help with the negotiation process with attorneys and clients at AOM
- Data collection: Open/close client files immediately following AOM using VLP’s Case Management software; Coordinate CLE credit process for volunteer attorneys with VLP’s Volunteer Attorney Coordinator; Keep student volunteer log for AOM; Produce a variety of reports
- Build relationships with, recruit, and support pro bono attorneys for the AOM program
- Help organize CLEs with the collaboration of our Pro Bono Recruitment Coordinator and Housing Attorney
- Assist our Housing Attorney in the training of student interns and community volunteers on VLP’s AOM program
- Remain up to date on changes in landlord tenant practice
- Build and maintain relationships with court staff in Buffalo City Court and Lackawanna City Court
- Local travel will be required (a driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle are required)
- Provide backup assistance on VLP’s housing helpline as needed
- other duties may be assigned
The paralegal will be based in VLP’s office in Buffalo and most of the work will be in and around the Buffalo area, including Buffalo City Court and Lackawanna City Court.
Requirements/Skills - Required:
- fluency in Spanish
- experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- ability to collect and manage data
- ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, with VLP staff and a variety of other partners, including volunteer attorneys, student interns and court staff
- excellent verbal and written skills
- ability to multitask
- must be comfortable serving low-income clients from diverse backgrounds
- demonstrated commitment to working in the public interest
Requirements/Skills – Preferred (not required):
- Paralegal degree or certificate
- experience with Case Management software
- experience or demonstrated interest in landlord/tenant law
TO APPLY: Please send a resume with a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Gretchen Gonzalez, Deputy Director, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at email@example.com. We will be accepting applications until the position is filled.
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary depends upon experience. Excellent benefits including fully paid health insurance, a cafeteria plan for dependent care and transportation costs, long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b plan, Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. Employee paid dental insurance is also available. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com
VLP staff is currently primarily working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We anticipate that the person hired will start out working from home. AOM will be temporarily replaced by a remote model that the Courts are currently discussing.