California statewide defense firm has an outstanding opportunity for a Legal Assistant in its downtown San Jose office. We are looking for a team player who enjoys a cordial, fun, diverse and fast-paced working environment. The candidate should have two (2) to four (5) years in litigation with knowledge of court pleadings and discovery; correspondence, scanning and mail procedures. Must have experience in Word and Outlook and have excellent skills, detail-oriented and strong work ethic. This opportunity is ideal for a candidate who wants to learn and grow into more of a senior administrative role in the future.
- Transcribe and proofread legal documents.
- File, organize, scan, copy and fax legal documents.
- File documents with the court ahead of deadlines.
- Assists as a back up to Receptionist and Office Coordinator.
- Produces information by transcribing, formatting, inputting, editing, retrieving, copying, and transmitting text, data, and graphics; coordinating case preparation.
- Represents attorney by communicating and obtaining information; following-up on delegated assignments; knowing when to act and when to refer matters to an attorney.
- Maintains client confidence by keeping client/attorney information confidential.
- Provides historical reference by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; recording meeting discussions; maintaining transcripts; documenting and maintaining evidence.
- Must be Proficient in MS Word and Outlook.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in years in litigation with knowledge of federal and state court pleadings and discovery.
- Familiarity with state and federal e-filing and e-service.
- Must have experience with correspondence, scanning and mail procedures.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with legal documents and terminology.
- Typing speed of at least 50 wpm with a high rate of accuracy.
- Able to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Courteous and professional demeanor.
- Able to work as a team with attorneys and other staff members.
- Strong sense of discretion.
- Must be able to multi-task and maintain a consistent method of organization.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(K), FSA, group life, and LTD offered for eligible employees.
- Paid Vacation and Sick time for eligible employees
Immediate opening. All inquiries are kept confidential.
We are proud of our enduring commitment to professional excellence and to the talented and diverse group of people who carry that culture forward for both our firm and our clients. Stability, continuity, and excellence have been our watchwords throughout our 70 years of service to our clients and our State.
Why Work Here?When Preston N. Ericksen came back from the war, he was urged to go to law school. In 1950, with his freshly minted law license, he joined his father A. D. Ericksen, former Idaho lawyer, judge, and district attorney, to open the firm’s first office in Oakland. Growth was progressively managed, starting in 1967 when the firm opened our San Francisco office to serve the greater Bay Area. Robert Arbuthnot came to the firm’s Oakland office in 1969. In 1970, our Sacramento office opened to serve the North of the State. In 1974, Bob Arbuthnot opened our firm’s Fresno office at clients’ request to serve the Central Valley. In 1983, Julia F. Day opened our San Jose office as managing partner to serve the what became the Silicon Valley as well as the Central Coast. In 1986, with the opening of our Los Angeles office, our ability to serve clients became truly state-wide. In 2015, our firm’s flagship Oakland office moved to Concord and continues to serve the East Bay and Bay Area and, shortly after, our San Francisco office was merged with our San Jose office. We are proud of our enduring commitment to professional excellence and to the talented and diverse group of people who carry that culture forward for both our firm and our clients. Stability, continuity, and excellence have been our watchwords throughout our 70 years of service to our clients and our State.
The firm prides itself in our mentorship as well as partner track opportunities for associates interested in advancement.
San Jose, CA