Equity Methods is seeking a motivated, hands-on financial leader for our controllership function. As the organization’s key accounting professional, you will safeguard the firm’s financial health and ensure the production of relevant, high-quality information for external reporting and internal decision-making.
Reporting to the CEO with a dotted line to the business unit executives, you’ll be responsible for all external and management reporting as well as tax compliance while fostering a sound control environment. You will also lend your expertise and support across human resources and firm operations as needed, informing risk assessments and providing critical analyses to ensure that business objectives are met. This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in a rapidly growing professional services organization that’s #1 in its field.
Activities and Responsibilities
Your Role on the Team
You will be directly responsible for supervising a staff accountant and administrative professional. In addition, you will manage critical outside relationships, including our payroll provider, 401(k) administrator, audit and tax firms, commercial bank, business insurance firm, HR benefits broker, and other key vendors.
Equally important, you will collaborate closely with and provide support to the CEO, business unit leaders, and HR leadership committee. You will deliver meaningful and proactive analysis, insight, and execution to BU leaders to ensure that business objectives are met.
Finance & Treasury:
- Prepare timely and accurate financial statements, and work collaboratively with other members of the leadership team to develop both annual and rolling budgets and forecasts.
- Contribute effectively to the board reporting process and create insightful, polished deliverables (in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) for the Executive Committee and other stakeholders.
- Quickly come to understand the business, the key levers, and how cost-benefit calculations are made beyond the numbers. Leverage your understanding of different project types and revenue streams, consulting firm economics, and EM’s own unique values and operating style to contribute to ongoing projects and firm initiatives.
- Ensure efficient and effective use of automation and controls, implementing new tools where appropriate.
- Oversee an accurate and timely revenue cycle with white-glove handling of delinquent AR cases; engineer continuous improvements over time.
- Oversee efficient, controlled, and technology-enabled AP and disbursement processes.
- Ensure effective and controlled cash management. Manage banking/treasury relationships.
- Deliver insight, experience, and hands-on support to potential future M&A transactions.
HR Finance and General Operations:
- Ensure that all HR finance processes, including employee onboarding/offboarding, payroll, etc. deliver a superior service experience for employees.
- Effectively manage employee benefit vendors and programs, ensuring that all compliance responsibilities are met and that employees receive high-quality, excellent services.
- Project manage the annual benefits renewal process, facilitating internal collaboration to ensure that planned programs meet expectations.
- Manage facilities issues, including relationship with landlord, ensuring matters are handled thoughtfully. Work collaboratively with business unit leaders on issues that affect the team.
- Support other HR-related compliance efforts and recurring projects.
- Ensure the success of our annual financial audit process, and provide as-needed support to complete our SOC 1.
- Drive our tax compliance program, working with our external tax advisors to ensure that SALT, federal tax, and related requirements are handled proactively.
- Manage annual business insurance renewal process (E&O, cyber, D&O, etc.) and related risk management areas effectively.
- Drive legal projects, contracting, and purchasing negotiations on an as-needed basis.
- Participate in or own other ad-hoc projects as they arise.
Skills and Behaviors
- Works well independently, and is also able to work collaboratively with peers to achieve goals.
- Consistently exhibits sound judgement.
- High attention to detail. Capable of serving as the final backstop on matters within their domain.
- Highly proficient in QuickBooks Online and Excel.
- Extensive experience in financial reporting, reconciliations, and the external audit process.
- B.S. in Accounting.
- Desired items: CPA certification. Exposure to Adaptive Insights and Paychex. Exposure to state and local taxation (SALT).
- Excels across EM’s Values: Impact, learning and development, empathy, plain-English client delivery [in this context, internal clients], taking ownership, managing risk, flexibility and adaptability, and seizing opportunities.
- Resourceful and proactive in conducting independent research to arrive at clear perspectives; able to resolve complex technical issues without structure or supervision.
- Effective in a culture that has distributed decision-making and fluid roles and responsibilities. As a professional services firm, business unit leaders are heavily involved in all aspects of firm operations, which will require the successful candidate to maintain a highly collaborative approach and excel even when where there isn’t a single decision owner.
- Consistently exhibits a service-oriented, internal client approach. As a consulting firm, our internal processes are geared toward making the lives of our staff easier so they can serve clients better.
- Flexible, organized, detail oriented and energetic; a reliable, thoughtful colleague.
- Moves fast, yet knows when to slow down and dive into details to ensure accuracy and information usefulness.
About Equity Methods
Equity Methods is a finance, accounting, and human capital consulting firm that embraces the synergistic role of technology and expertise in creating client impact. We deliver impact-rich services across three core practice areas: financial reporting, valuation, and HR advisory.
With over 80 professionals and experience serving hundreds of publicly traded clients (including 35 Fortune 100 companies), Equity Methods seeks to combine the best of a large professional services firm with the best of an entrepreneurial, technology-enabled company. We work hard in the quest to have high impact and deliver exemplary client service that supports our client retention and overall growth story. We have consistently been rated a Top Company to Work for in Arizona. For the sixth year in a row, we are rated #1 in client satisfaction and loyalty among share-based compensation reporting providers in Group Five’s industry leading benchmarking survey.