Equipo Academy seeks committed teachers with high expectations and demonstrated success in the classroom to grow a nine-star college prep campus in East Las Vegas. These classroom leaders will work directly with students and families and be part of a team of educators preparing every student to excel to and through college. As teachers at the community's first college prep charter school, the Equipo Academy staff are making history creating a new proof point for what is possible in Southern Nevada.
What's it like to teach at Equipo Academy?
All teachers work collaboratively to empower Equipo Academy students and families. The core responsibilities of each teacher are planning and leading high achieving, college preparatory classes and serving as an advisor to an advisory group of students and families. In addition to classroom responsibilities, the role of a teacher at a young campus also offers unique leadership opportunities and requires an “all hands” team approach to operations and problem-solving. Candidates should relish the challenge of designing new programs and systems, working closely with students and families, and collaborating with colleagues. All teachers report directly to a member of the leadership team who will also serve as a coach and support in their ongoing professional development.
What do our teachers do?
Equipo Academy teachers
- partner with school leaders and colleagues to design rigorous courses around high expectations for future college success
- create course sequences, assessments, units and lessons using backwards planning strategies
- leverage best practices for professional learning communities, data analysis, and instructional design to identify gaps in learning and plan rapid interventions
- foster learning environments that support the Equipo Academy core values of Respect & Humility, Integrity, Passion, Perseverance, Empowerment, and Team & Family
- practice a tough love discipline approach and work closely with team when challenges arise
- build strong, positive working relationships with all team members including students, families, and staff and actively collaborate in all team meetings and staff development sessions
- support school-wide rules, expectations, and procedures in classrooms and across the campus
- attend school events and trips including monthly family events, special student events, field lessons, concerts, games, and end of year and graduation events
- perform specific administrative tasks related to instruction including attendance, mastery grading, assessment data, intervention tracking, student reports, and instructional records
- develop a deep knowledge base on instructional subjects and partnerships with highly effective teachers at other schools
- devote one prep period each day to instructional planning and one prep to team collaboration, meetings, and duties
- commit to Equipo Academy's extended school day and school year
- make availability for students and parents outside of school hours by cell phone, responding to all calls or messages within 24 hours
- complete other related responsibilities as needed to support the school and team
What are the qualifications?
Equipo Academy teachers must
- possess an unshakeable belief that every single student can meet the most ambitious achievement goals and it is the responsibility of a school and its staff to ensure that they do
- personally model Equipo Academy core values of Respect & Humility, Integrity, Perseverance, Passion, Empowerment, and Team & Family
- bring joy and creativity to their work and embrace a positive team approach to problem solving
- have 2-5 years experience in schools with consistent, demonstrated achievement gains working with historically at risk students
- demonstrate high expectations for student behavior and strong classroom management using tough love to guide behavior
- have experience working with adults to achieve big goals in the face of significant challenges
- show enthusiasm for work in a new school with high expectations and a dynamic start-up environment
- possess a bachelor’s degree (preferably a masters degree), Nevada teaching license (or the ability to obtain a state teaching license by start date), and exceptional communication skills (preferably bilingual)
Compensation and Benefits
Our team believes that our teachers are the most important part of our school and we are committed to offering salaries and benefits that recognize how critical great educators are to our mission. Equipo Academy will match and exceed any comparable local district compensation package for talented teachers with a demonstrated record of achievement, a “gritty” and relentless work ethic, and exceptional team and family relationships. Packages include comprehensive health (medical, dental and vision), personal wellness resources (gym membership rewards and round-the-clock counseling services), and PERS retirement benefits. All teachers at Equipo Academy receive two daily prep periods (one for independent work and one for team collaboration, meetings, and duties), weekly observation and coaching cycles, and weekly professional development.
Equipo Academy is an equal opportunity employer to all employees and candidates without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, age, disability, marital, military status or any other discriminatory basis as defined by federal or state regulations.