Equal Opportunity Schools seeks an innovative, equity-driven Software Developer. We are a national not-for-profit organization with a mission to ensure that black, brown and low-income students have access to America’s academically challenging school programs, and that they succeed at all levels. EOS is a rapidly growing, continuously improving organization with diversity initiatives. We want individuals who share our desire to be innovative leaders in technology, software, and data focused on mission-critical work to transform public education.
Job Title: Software Developer
Salary: $80,000 – 95,000 (Commensurate with experience)
Location: Seattle, WA
Benefits Offered: Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability, Life, Retirement (403(b)), PTO, phone stipend
Employment Type: Exempt Full-Time
The Software Developer will build and maintain our proprietary web application. By building well-engineered software systems, you will be providing innovative insight that contributes directly to the organizational mission.
The Software Developer will be responsible for:
- Design and implementation of software and tools
- Communicate and collaborate with other developers, database administrators, and QA testers to ensure smooth operations in product development
- Develop patches to fix software bugs
- Unit-testing and test automation for software modules
- Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle including continuous integration, testing, deployment, and refactoring
- Research new technology that could improve product offerings or current structure
- Review others' code and improve your code with feedback from other developers and QA testers
- Bachelors' degree in Computer Science, technical training relevant to job requirements, or 2+ years coding experience
- Participate in a team using an Agile framework
- Experience using Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience developing web applications with Ruby; Ruby on Rails preferred
- Experience developing highly interactive, user-friendly applications (preferred)
- Experience using PostgreSQL or good knowledge of relational databases
- Git for version control; GitHub preferred
- A firm grasp of object-oriented analysis and design
- Familiarity with testing tools such as rspec and capybara
This job might be for you if:
You are committed to equity. You steadfastly believe that all students – particularly black, brown and low-income students – should have access and succeed in the most academically rigorous high school programs. You understand that working for equity is a continual journey and you are motivated by a passion for that journey.
You enjoy collaborating with others. You recognize that working with a diverse team of individuals with varying roles and skills can be challenging, but you enjoy this challenge. You work to find creative solutions to best fit a wide range of contexts, needs, uses, and timelines.
You love to learn and grow. You are always looking to improve and to develop new skills, and welcome constructive feedback that helps you get there. You’re excited to learn from other perspectives that will inform your thinking, and to contribute to others’ learning.
You are comfortable working in a dynamic, growing organization. Equal Opportunity Schools has experienced incredible growth and success in our 10+ years of existence, but we don’t have it all figured out. You’re excited to take on the challenges that come with a relatively young organization, evolving internal systems and structures, and long-term visions that are still works in progress.
Interested applicants should submit a CV, and a cover letter highlighting relevant skills, and how EOS’s work, social justice, and equity connects with their professional goals.