Executive Director, Friendly House
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Friendly House Seeks Executive Director
Friendly House in Worcester, MA, seeks a collaborative, compassionate leader who will connect deeply with the diverse community residents and families of Greater Worcester. This moment is one of change for Friendly House as its executive director for the past 52 years, Gordon Hargrove, will step into an ambassador role. The board, staff and community gratefully acknowledge his dedicated and exemplary leadership and unwavering hard work to help Friendly House grow into the caring and essential neighborhood center and multi-service organization it is today.
About Friendly House
Friendly House celebrated its 100-year anniversary in 2020. Founded as a Settlement House, it continues to respond immediately to the needs of community residents, providing a safety net in their lives. The Settlement House, an approach to social reform with roots in the late 19th century and the Progressive Movement, was a method for serving immigrants and the poor in urban areas by living among them and serving them directly. This philosophy remains the core of Friendly House's programming approach and culture.
Friendly House provides a multitude of services for the entire family, nuclear and extended, to meet the need for immediate crisis stabilization, food, housing, and other social services. Three satellite neighborhood centers are also managed by the agency. Youth programs include after-school, teen, basketball, and summer day camp. State and federal funding support housing for over 100 homeless families at a time, including emergency shelter, transitional, and permanent supportive housing. Lunch meals and snacks are prepared for children of the center and many other youth serving agencies in the community.
Friendly House is a collaborative, well-known, and highly credible non-profit organization. Its administrative and social service office is on Wall Street in Worcester, and shelters and scattered site housing are located throughout the city. Friendly House employs approximately 70 staff, many long-standing, and is governed by an 18-member board of directors. The annual operating budget is $6.35M. Friendly House is in a solid financial position attributable to longstanding support from the City of Worcester and other government funds, United Way, local foundations, and ongoing fundraising.
Friendly House plays a pivotal role in making our society a more equitable place where all people can thrive, and it does this, in part, by maintaining a core focus on every community member that walks through its door. It will be important for the new executive to become very familiar with the communities served by Friendly House to build upon credibility and loyalty so deeply held by Mr. Hargrove. The new executive director will have the opportunity to:
- Fundraise by building on institutional, donor, and city funders' satisfaction with Friendly House's impact, role in the community, and attention to reporting, and to deepen fundraising opportunities with added staff support and focus.
- Attend to the physical state of the Friendly House facilities and the need for additional space for administration and programming.
- Build the staff team to honor and recognize their hard work and commitment to meeting the daily needs and challenges of community residents. Strong communication are a must, as are fresh eyes on staff organization, roles, and responsibilities.
- Develop the Board's leadership, communication, expectation of engagement, and involvement in decision making. It is likely that assistance with recruitment will be needed.
- Strengthen and clarify the fiscal partnerships with the three satellite Neighborhood Centers. Each have their unique needs and governance arrangements and would thrive with more funding and infrastructure support to meet unmet needs in their neighborhoods.
- Continue to hire for diversity throughout the organization and embrace an equity approach to operations and service delivery.
The Ideal Candidate
Friendly House is looking for someone who will help articulate a vision for the next phase of development at Friendly House with the skills, maturity, and background to manage its daily commitment to the people it serves. While we recognize that candidates will not possess all the following qualities, ideal applicants will exemplify a number of these attributes, skills, and experiences:
A Visionary and Strategic Executive
- Passion for and commitment to the mission of Friendly House and the children, youth, and families it serves
- Demonstrated ability to fundraise in a variety of ways
- Experience leading and executing a strategic organizational vision and plan
- Non-profit acumen in operations, management, and governance leadership at an organization of Friendly House's scale
- Compelling public spokesperson with strong oral and written communication skills and is comfortable with all forms of media
- Experience navigating external relationships of importance and comfort with advocacy
An Authentic and Engaging Leader
- Present and accessible leader who motivates, coaches, and respects staff
- Generous in spirit; caring, genuine, down to earth person who is approachable and a good listener
- Open and adaptive and willing to take on new ways of doing things
- Enjoys networking and seeking resources and opportunities
- Hard worker and willing to do what it takes to get the job done
Deep Commitment to and Experience with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Proven champion of racial and social equity and a strong commitment to engaging and empowering communities
- Committed to developing a welcoming, collaborative, diverse and inclusive work culture and climate
- Being bi-culture /bi-lingual is a plus
- A minimum of seven years of senior leadership or equivalent experience
- Advanced education relevant to this position is a plus
Candidates must include a resume and a cover letter that describes how their qualifications and experience match the needs and mission of Friendly House. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Send required documents to: https://eostransitions.applicantpool.com/jobs/
The salary range being offered is $125,000-$160,000.
Friendly House is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and looks forward to an inclusive hiring process. It encourages a broad range of applicants, including candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures, particularly candidates of color and/or candidates with lived experience that represent the communities Friendly House serves.
This executive search is being conducted by Eos Transition Partners consultant Nancy Jackson. All submissions will be acknowledged and are confidential, and any questions must be submitted to Nancy Jackson at: email@example.com.
BusinessView all jobs at Eos Transitions