Digital Media Arts, Grades 5-8 Teacher
- Posted: over a month ago
LOCATION & VACCINATION POLICY:
This is an onsite role reporting 2501 Chestnut Street in Oakland. Envision Education's vaccination policy asks that all instructional candidates are fully vaccinated. Currently all staff are asked to wear masks while in school.
WHO WE ARE:
The mission of Envision Education is to transform the lives of students - especially those who will be the first in their family to attend college - by preparing them for success in college, career, and life. We accomplish our mission through our nationally replicated Portfolio Defense assessment model, which authentically measures the most important things students need in order to succeed in college and career: academic content, leadership skills, and deeper learning competencies such as reflection and growth mindset. Portfolio Defense uniquely prepares students, particularly those who are historically underserved, to get into college and then to persist until they earn a degree. Envision is also differentiated by a focus on whole-child education that integrates rigorous academics, high-quality social-emotional learning, and critical cultural literacy. Read about our approach here.
We operate three high schools and two middle schools, serving approximately 1,500 students in the San Francisco Bay Area: 70% are low-income; 94% from communities of color; and 75% first generation college bound. 100% of our graduates are accepted to 2- or 4-year colleges, with 78% accepted to 4-year institutions. What’s more, our students persist in college once they enroll. Our college persistence rate is 87% from first to second year, compared to the national average of 74%. We also operate Envision Learning Partners, a coaching and training division working with schools across the country to adapt and adopt the Portfolio Defense model. ELP is working with more than 1,000 educators in 30+ school networks and reaching more than 200,000 students.
Envision Education has made an explicit commitment to becoming an exemplar network of schools with an instructional and cultural vision rooted in an anti-racist and pro-Black framework. We believe that targeted universalism–focusing on the needs of a group that has historically been marginalized–will support not only that group, but everyone, and that being explicitly anti-racist and pro-Black is essential to changing the status quo for all of our students.
- Create lesson and unit plans aligned to CCSS and high-quality performance assessments
- Empower students with a sense of agency as they build problem solving skills to enter high school ready for success.
- Leverage student-facing data, technology, and web-based programs to guide students in their own learning.
- Apply strategies with frequent data-cycles to improve student outcomes and help students identify their next area of growth.
- Collaborate in grade level and department teams.
- Serve as an advisor and teach daily advisory curriculum for a small group of students
- Teach school-wide curriculum focused on adolescent development, team building, growth mindset, social-emotional learning, and brain science
- Reflect frequently with students to prepare evidence for presentations of learning.
- Know their students well, develop a strong sense of community in the classroom, and personalize each student’s learning experience
- Build strong relationships with families, including meeting with families on a scheduled basis to share information about their students and the school.
- B.A. or B.S. required
- Valid California Teaching Credential or out of state equivalent with ability to transfer required.
- English Language Learner authorization or in process
- Experience delivering strong data-driven instruction to achieve significant student academic achievement gains
- Receptiveness to feedback and desire to continuously improve instruction in service of student academic outcomes
- Experience working successfully with parents and families, especially African American, Latino, and immigrant families
- Commitment to the mission of Envision Education
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Competitive based on credential, education, and experience.
- Certified art teachers for SY 22-23 are also eligible for up to $5,000 in bonus opportunities.
- Paid sick leave
- Retirement system from STRS
- Excellent health benefits package with employer contribution to benefits
- Optional Flexible Benefits Plan
- 403b Plan
- Commuter Check Plans
- Life Insurance at no cost to employee
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe deeply in diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all people. Envision recruits, employs, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and the many other characteristics that make us diverse.
Powered by JazzHR
EducationView all jobs at Envision Education