Botanist/Ecologist/Wetland Scientist - Midwest/Ohio
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Environmental Consulting & Technology, Inc. (ECT) is interested in hiring a full time, Botanist/Ecologist to join our Natural Resources Service Line in the Midwest/Ohio area. Strong plant identification is necessary and knowledge midwestern species, or the ability to quickly learn them is required. Knowledge of threatened and endangered species, wetland delineations, and ecological restoration is a plus.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
- Perform field work and office-based studies as directed by supervisor, in support of corporate, nonprofit, municipal, and institutional clients
- Execute flora and fauna surveys, wetland delineations and determinations, ecological restorations, and wildlife habitat creation design and construction
- Conduct natural features baseline and preconstruction studies, construction/restoration oversight, installation, and monitoring/maintenance activities, including mechanical and chemical invasive species treatment, weeding, planting, seeding, and watering
- Conduct natural features assessments and reporting via desktop and field review, threatened & endangered species surveys and permitting, wetland delineation and permitting, ecological monitoring, environmental education (classroom and field-based), and community outreach activities and prepare graphics, data, written reports/documentation, presentations, and educational documents
- Perform identification of midwestern native and invasive plants, with an emphasis on Great Lakes and midwestern ecosystems
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree botany, plant biology, wildlife biology, or related natural resource field is required
- 1-3 years’ experience related to botanical surveys, threatened and endangered species surveys; wetland delineation; native vegetation identification and restoration, design, and management; invasive species control; and wildlife habitat restoration
- Advanced knowledge of, or research in, rare and declining species, invasive plant identification, and pollinators is a plus
- Familiarity with natural resource regulations and previous experience with environmental consulting and project and budget management is welcomed
Capabilities & Credentials:
- Ability to obtain certification as a, Certified Ecological Restoration Practitioner, Certified Ecologist, Certified Arborist, Professional Wetland Scientist, Professional Wildlife Biologist, or Professional Landscape Architect strongly desired
- Knowledge and skills related to GPS and ArcGIS software preferred
- Experience writing and administering grants and the ability to develop and implement study plans
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, technical writing skills, and attention to detail
- Excellent field, writing, and oral communication skills and ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team
- Able to juggle multiple projects and changing priorities without missing deadlines or losing sight of overall project goals
- Able to lift heavy objects, traverse rough terrain, and experience inclement weather with exposure to sun and insects
- Work independently with little direct supervision; self-motivated with sound professional judgement
- Reliable transportation and the ability and willingness to undertake considerable travel (day and multi-night) during the field season
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record required
Currently, ECT does not require vaccination from COVID-19 as a condition of employment; however, this position is subject to change with the nature of the pandemic and related legal and client-oriented requirements. ECT is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
Environmental Consulting & Technology, Inc
AddressAnn Arbor, MI
Get fresh Environmental Science Consultant jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.