Job Title: Sr. EHS Engineer
Job Location: Gulfport, MS
The Sr. EHS Engineer Is responsible for maintaining the Operation's focus on OSHA and EHSS Compliance in a Complex Manufacturing Processing Plants where production and cost pressures are very high. This will require strong commitment and leadership skills.
Must be able to make decisions that may be viewed by the Operation as holding up progress on a project or maintenance activity that impacts cost and production.
Must be willing to adapt his/her role and responsibilities to meet the changing needs of the business.
You will be responsible for providing expertise and leadership to the ChemOps, Compounding, Pilot Plant and department personnel to ensure that they achieve full compliance to the OSHA 1910.119 standard and our Environmental Policies; for ChemOps, Compounding, and Pilot Plant; serve as a focal point for Internal and External EHSS Audits and ensure that audit findings are properly documented and closed; and assist the BSL Site in completing activities that ensure compliance to the EHSS Standards.
- Reports directly to BSL Site EHSS Manager.
- Is expected to have the ability to influence others to ensure compliance; manage a multitude of tasks; must understand, manage and implement broad range of EHSS expectations and be able to communicate those clearly to the department.
- Must be able to identify and evaluate various plant and process situations using sound judgment make recommendations that satisfy the needs of the EHSS regulation as well as the Operating Departments and Business.
- Is expected to execute these recommendations with all related processes being followed, while communicating and influencing all affected teams.
- Is expected to solicit input from a participating work group to incorporate best practices and site philosophies into their projects and programs.
- Is expected that the successful candidate will work with minimal supervision.
- Will work closely Engineering Team, Process Team and Maintenance Team to ensure consistent and complete understanding and compliance with the OSHA / EPA Regulations and The Company’s EHSS Policies.
- Manage/Lead the MOC and PSSR process in ChemOps, Compounding and Pilot Plant including duties such as verification that a MOC has been submitted for change; all PSM Requirements are met; and verify that all affected employees are trained and informed. In addition, the Engineer must identify corrective actions and lead activities to correct process related concerns. This includes EHSS design work on Capital projects. Applicant will proactively lead the EHSS process that will facilitate zero BSL EHSS incidents.
- Will have primary responsibility for ChemOps, Compounding and Pilot Plant but will be called upon to support EHSS activities in other plant activities as required. Represent the BSL Site and participate in Global EHSS Initiatives and Audits.
- Support process improvement projects, process modifications and construction activities. Recommend solutions for operational and control issues. Lead activities to implement corrective actions. Write procedures for New Systems as required.
- Provide Technical Assistance to Operations and Maintenance Personnel for LOTO Permits, Hot Work Permits, Confined Space Entry, MOC, Electrical Permits, Process Safety Reviews, Incident Investigations and other EHSS Related Processes.
- Provide training to operating technicians and day’s personnel for process modifications and procedure modifications using visual aids such as pictures and PowerPoint presentations.
- Responsible for identifying gaps in programs, developing a closure plan, obtaining financial and manpower resources, and executing plan for compliance. Responsible for implementing new corporate EHSS Programs and Initiatives.
- Arrange for outside resources when necessary for vendor assistance, technical support, etc.
- Assure communication of project activities to the appropriate site personnel through safety meeting and installations reviews with technicians on major projects.
- Will represent the ChemOps/Compounding/Pilot Plant area to EHSS, Engineering, Contractor Teams as well as Corporate for compliance activities.
- Coordinate/ensure the loading and linking documents in current document management system and drive progress of loading current paper and electronic files.
- Lead investigation of EHSS incidents including determination of Root Cause and Corrective action on Level D incidents.
- Driving and tracking closure of EHSS incidents, actions items, MOC documentation, EHSS audits, etc.
- Manage BSL Site EHSS Documentation.
- Drive plant awareness of EHSS requirements and track closure as required.
- Lead BSL Site-Wide EHSS Audits.
- Audit performance against BSL Site EHSS Procedures monthly, including LC Audits.
- Serve as focal point for all EHSS Audits in departmental meetings.
- Review WO/POs/AWOs for EHSS Compliance.
- Participate in Operator Assessments.
- Audit EHSS Inspections Backlog and Documentation.
- Review EHSS Data for opportunities to change frequencies.
- Must be willing to take on other responsibilities.
- Act as a behavioral standard in the leadership role related to Risk Management, Housekeeping and Quality of Work to assure the attitude and performance is supportive of the BSL Management Philosophy and Principles.
- Will work closely with and will obtain direction from EHSS Manager, Safety Specialist, and PSM Engineer, in addition to the Area Process Manager.
- Must have a BS Technical Degree and a minimum 5 years EHSS field experience or EHSS Technical Training.
- Working knowledge of Engineering Design Documents/Standards and Powder Handling Standards.
- Must have strong Project Management Skills, excellent Computer Skills and be able to facilitate PHOA’s/Design Reviews/Meetings.
- Must have the ability to learn quickly and assimilate EHSS Regulation into Routine Plant Operations.
- Must demonstrate knowledge of EHSS Regulations; *(OSHA 1910, RMP); demonstrate problem solving skills and must present to the Company a valid Transportation Worker Identification Card from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.