Job Title: Manager, Real Estate & Expansion
Location: Western Suburb of Boston, MA
Company: Owns & Operates 200+ Convenience Stores
Our client is a multi-branded fuel wholesaler/retailer, convenience store and car wash operator in New England. Their sites are identified with the major fuel brands Shell, Irving, Sunoco and Gulf, along with Dunkin Donuts, McDonald’s and Subway. They operate over 200 retail locations and supply branded and unbranded fuels to 300+ dealers throughout New England.
The position will be primarily responsible for managing the organization’s real estate portfolio, including its relationships with landlords and tenants, and for identifying, evaluating and recommending new convenience store, car wash and/or retail gas sites. The position manages and advises on all aspects of real estate, including related contracts, permitting and zoning, and single and multi-site acquisitions. This position will work closely with multiple departments, including Legal, Operations, Construction/Development, Finance/Accounting, Environmental and Risk Management. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record as a team player and real estate project leader.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with tenants, landlords and brokers and other related service providers.
- Negotiate, review and advise on commercial leases and related documents.
- Identify and evaluate potential sites in target markets. Due diligence and research, including market mapping, competition, population density and trends, demographics, activity generators and area development trends, site availability, development viability and economic development incentives, ownership and zoning.
- Negotiate and advise on contracts for purchase and sale of commercial real estate and related documents.
- Manage real estate contract database and lease abstracting. Track and negotiate lease renewals.
- Coordinate activities and communications between internal and external stakeholders to complete diligence, permitting and financing within appropriate timeframes.
- Manage site plan approval and permitting process for all new sites, including analyzing local ordinances and zoning codes and attending municipal hearings.
- Develop work scope, budget and schedule throughout duration of projects.
- Prepare site approval package for submission, review and approval.
- Manage divestment of vacant or non-producing properties.
- Manage additional projects and provide analysis as needed.
- 5+ years of retail real estate experience, including real estate acquisition and leasing. Experience with convenience store, QSR, car wash and/or retail gas industry preferred.
- Aware of market and industry trends, including lease terms, real property valuation, rent, etc.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to drive real estate strategy, evolution and innovation to further corporate objectives, organizational growth and corporate development.
- Experience with real estate contract management systems and databases.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, relationship building/interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent negotiation, verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate Management, Business, Finance, or related field(s).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Microsoft Project, or other project management software.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Able to communicate effectively with people at all levels of organization, and with outside brokers, vendors, landlords, franchisees, tenants, and municipalities, including formal presentations.
- Familiar with municipal zoning and permitting approval process.
- Must be a self-starter, self-disciplined and able to manage time effectively.