Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc. (ESS) is all about owning what we do. We're a 100% employee-owned multi-faceted contractor who thrives on delivering complex heavy civil projects by developing innovative infrastructure solutions. Since our founding in 1972, ESS has grown into a team of more than 650 employee-owners that are experts in excavation, grading, underground utilities, bridge construction, and asphalt and concrete paving.
HOW WE OWN IT.
Being a 100% employee owned firm is integral to our company identity. It's the foundation of our values, our culture, and the way we serve our clients. Most importantly, being 100% employee owned means everyone who works for ESS is a part-owner of the company. ESS' success is driven by our employee-owners, and we want them to be rewarded for that work! Since the Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) was created, ESS has experienced incredible growth. In fact, ESS stock has increased nearly 30% each of the last three years. It's an exciting time to be an employee-owner at ESS!
ESS is looking for Laborers
What you'll be doing...
This is an unskilled to semi-skilled position requiring heavy manual labor in the repair, construction and maintenance of the various construction related task. This position reports directly to a Foreman or a Lead Worker. This employee is primarily responsible for assisting in the repair, construction, maintenance and inspection of various construction related task, which are performed in accordance with accepted practices and procedures. The position has having a possible occupational exposure to bloodborne pathogens; the employee is subject to pre-employment, reasonable suspicion, post accident, return to duty and follow-up drug and alcohol testing.
- Assists in the construction, maintenance, testing and/or repair of the construction projects.
- Performs heavy manual labor including, digging, lifting, climbing, carrying and installation under varying weather conditions while exposed to dampness, fumes, odors, dust, biological, electrical, mechanical and traffic hazards.
- Assists with building, sealing, cleaning and adjusting manholes, frames and covers, and roadway construction.
- Operates various hand tools, including but not limited to jackhammer, demo saws, paint brushes, pick, shovel, survey equipment, bull floats, rakes, wrenches and various hand tools.
- Operates power equipment including, but not limited to air compressors, pavement breakers, tampers, vibrators, vacuum pumps and various other type pumps.
- Participates in traffic control.
- Accesses inside of manholes, enters confined spaces and works off of ladders
- Participates in stand-by duties, which involves working alone or with coworkers at night, weekends and holidays to resolve situations that occur after normal business hours.
- Removes and replaces metal manhole covers, which weigh approximately 165 pounds.
- Climbs in and out of manholes of various depths.
- Learns and complies with all rules and regulations in, but not limited to, Employee Handbook, OSHA Safety, Confined Space Program, etc.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, or the ability to learn, safety rules and equipment including identification of precautions for and emergency response to biological, chemical, electrical, and mechanical hazards, and asphyxiating, toxic and explosive gases and vapors.
- Performs tasks and assist co-workers with minimum of redirection.
- Demonstrates good workmanship in a neat and timely manner.
- Must be able to work in a variety of positions throughout the day including standing, stooping, bent at the waist, at waist level, shoulder height and above the head.
You're a good fit if...
- You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- You are a team player
- You have reliable transportation and are willing to travel to work in all of our geographical job locations
- You like to work outdoors, in all weather conditions
- You don't mind working overtime, working overnight or on the weekend, if required
- You have a general knowledge of or have the ability to learn OSHA and appropriate safety precautions and procedures
- You have good communication skills
- You have a strong customer focus
- You have