Our client is one of the country’s leading employment law firms, and they are seeking experienced legal assistants to join their team! This is an opportunity to work in a beautiful office environment surrounded by a supportive team – collaboration is key to this firm. They offer a small-office feel with the resources and growth opportunities of a nationwide firm.
This position has dual performance function, first supports the delivery of quality legal services to clients by providing secretarial and administrative assistance to attorneys, performing complex and specialized secretarial and clerical tasks, and working collaboratively and cooperative with others in a team-oriented environment. This position supports a set of attorneys as a primary assignment and also provides back-up secretarial assistance to others as assigned.
- Provides excellent customer service: answer main phone lines and direct calls; greet clients and vendors
- Performs legal research.
- Performs e-filings, prepare pleadings notebooks, update indexes and prepare exhibits.
- Ability to draft standard pleadings, correspondence, memorandum and other documents.
- Timely reviews and ensures accuracy of vendor invoices; prepares accurate check requests and timely submits invoices for payment to client or accounting.
- Possesses knowledge of client-specific billing guidelines and restrictions and consistently applies those guidelines to ensure cost-effective practices.
- Participates in the timely review and submission of prebills and/or client bills.
- Possesses strong clerical skills including typing, transcribing, word processing, mail and contact management, spreadsheets, presentations, and all of the firm’s systems and databases.
- Accurately files court documents both electronically and in document form and able to determine and follow any local or judge specific requirements related to same.
- Exhibits good judgment and organizational skills to receive, record and disseminate all information on behalf of the clients and assigned attorneys (e.g., mail, interoffice mail, email, etc.)
- Regularly and accurately proofreads all documents to ensure accuracy and completeness prior to distribution or filing.
- Regularly anticipates the needs of assigned attorneys in order to promote timekeeper efficiencies (i.e., drafts correspondence, prepares shell pleading and discovery documents in advance).
- Routinely reviews and follows-up on client deadlines and calendar appointments.
- Coordinates and makes necessary arrangements for meetings (i.e., depositions, mediations, interviews, and vendor and facility reservations).
- Assists assigned attorneys with completing and tracking CLE compliance, presentations and training programs, other business development activities, and organizing all other non-billable activities.
- Accurately prepares and submits client intake forms.
- Maintains attorney specific case lists, charts, and status of cases and outcomes.
- Consistently updates all applicable contact records (including attorney’s outlook and firm database).
- Enter, review and revise timesheets accurately.
- Proofread all documents independently and effectively to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Understand and comply with office policies concerning file management, case lists, filing and record keeping.
- Effectively manage and monitor calendaring of deadlines and key dates.
- Exhibit knowledge of litigation process.
- Possesses a strong understanding and abides by the policies and procedures of the firm and local office.
- Maintains an exceptional customer service attitude and demeanor at all times.
- Respects the time constraints faced by the lawyers in the office.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and is approachable.
- Adapts well to fluctuations in workload and changes in responsibilities.
- Presents written communications that are concise and accurate.
- Exhibits confident and professional verbal communication skills.
- Effectively communicates with clients and vendors.
- Keeps appropriate people informed of the status of projects, work and deadlines.
- Maintains a positive and “can do” attitude when dealing with clients, co-workers, and attorneys.
- High level of awareness of confidential information.
- Contributes to an atmosphere of teamwork and congeniality.
Skills and Abilities
- Lexis Nexis, Pacer, ECF, Desksite or document management system, CompuLaw, Concur, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and Excel.
- Attendance & Punctuality: Be consistently at work and on time; arrive at meetings and appointments on time; ensure work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Communication: Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Customer Service: Respond promptly to attorney and client requests for service and assistance; meet commitments.
- Dependability: Follow instructions; complete tasks on time; commit to the hours necessary to complete assignments; work independently.
- Professionalism: Approach others in a tactful manner; treat others with respect; react well under pressure.
- Team Work: Contribute to building a positive team spirit; support everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Technical Skills: Possess basic PC skills; ability to use phone system, copier, scanner, fax, and printer.
- Maintain exceptional customer service attitude and demeanor at all times.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legal terminology, legal documents, and legal processes in the Litigation Department, including the ability to mark and generate a table of contents and table of authorities.
- Accurate typing at a net speed of 65+ wpm (shorthand/speedwriting a plus).
- Strong computer proficiency in the use of MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), Document Management System, Time Entry, e-Filing and database software.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; demonstrated understanding of correct grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Ability to work effectively and proactively within a team environment.
- Strong time management skills and the ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to coordinate multiple tasks concurrently and to meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational skills, interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
- Initiative, flexibility, resiliency, and a willingness to adapt to change.