We are a growing boutique law firm looking for an experienced family law paralegal with a flexible schedule. We are looking to hire a part-time law clerk/ paralegal with the option of growing into a full-time position. Paid Metrorail pass provided.
The family law clerk/paralegal will prepare correspondence, papers, and documents of a legal nature such as exhibits, legal pleadings, notices, and discovery requests. They will assist the attorney with managing cases, and pretrial and trial matters. They will be responsible for legal research and writing. They will also have a general case and office management responsibilities.
Job Responsibilities include, but not limited to, the following:
· Preparation and drafting of motions, pleadings, notices, agreements, subpoenas, correspondence, and other documents
· Maintaining attorney calendars and case files from inception to close
· Scheduling appointments, hearings, depositions, mediations, etc.
· Tracking the dates and deadlines for responses to petitions/counter petitions and discovery requests.
· Preparation and review of the discovery, including mandatory disclosure, responses to request for production, answers to interrogatories, financial affidavit, etc.
· Organizing paper and electronic files.
· Keeping files current.
· Excellent writing skills. (we value simple, to the point, and effective writing)
· Researching legal and nonlegal issues that impact a case.
· Researching case law and statutes to come up with solid legal arguments.
· Maintaining effective, consistent, and respectful communication with clients.
· Must bill for all work in Mycase software.
Correspondence and Client Relations
· Taking and conveying messages.
· Composing and producing legal correspondence and related materials.
· E-Filing, sending electronic service of court documents.
· Processing the outgoing mail and packages, sending emails and faxes to the clients.
· Serving as a key resource for case information and resolves problems or questions referred by clients
· Handling inquiries of a legal and often confidential nature.
· Must know Florida Family Law Rules of Procedure, and Broward/Miami-Dade Family Court rules.
· Minimum Education: High school diploma
· Paralegal Degree/Certificate preferred
· Minimum Experience: 1-year experience as a Family Law paralegal and 3 (+) years of experience in the legal field
· Preferred Experience: 2 (+) year experience as a Family Law paralegal
· Excellent writing skills and Excellent communication skills
· Organizational skills and must be able to multitask and prioritize assignments
· Analytical skills
· Strong code ethics
· Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Haitian Creole is a Must.