Job Summary: The Shipping Supervisor is responsible for overseeing and directing the activities in the Shipping Department. Supervises shipping/warehouse area operations to assure safety, efficiency, quality, and cost effectiveness with the best use of resources and promoting a high level of performance to meet all customer and plant requirements and schedules.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Education & Experience:
Must be at least 18 years of age to perform this job. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ensure all company policies are understood and followed by all employees in the shipping/warehouse area
- Responsible for the scheduling of inbound/outbound shipments
- Studies shipping notices, bills of lading, orders and other records to determine shipping priorities, work assignments, and shipping methods required to meet shipping and receiving schedules
- Ensures all transactions are recorded timely
- Maintain inventory management along with assisting in weekly and monthly physical inventory
- Ensures safe use of machinery and tools, implementing inspections and audit requirements
- Ensure that all department Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) are adhered to at all times
- Supervises the activities of the personnel in all day-to-day operations to achieve efficient labor utilization or production requirements and priorities
- Effectively practices Performance Based management by coaching and developing employees
- Oversees adherence to programs involving materials, packaging and vehicle loading
- Sets and rearranges schedules and priorities
- Ensures that packing equipment is maintained for optimum performance and that pallet trucks and forklift trucks are charged and operational
- Maintains the accuracy of all department and shift records including packaging supplies, shift reports and employee time worked
- Ensures correct marking/identification of packaging, samples and quality control materials
- Above all, ensuring the safety of all employees by ensuring all personnel in the department are adhering to company policy, performing tasks safely, and housekeeping is adequately maintained
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2 years’ of experience in a manufacturing shipping/warehouse environment; Logistics, shipping/receiving experience is required
- Must have experience working in a fast paced environment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of warehousing, packing and shipping practices as well as inventory management
- Must be competent in areas of leadership, team building, coaching, communication, decision making and problem solving
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively communication with internal customers
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and providing excellent customer service
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
- Must be bilingual: Spanish/English (CA facilities)
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; maintains a clean and organized work environment.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Safety - Observes all safety procedures and policies; Reports potentially unsafe conditions to supervisor; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Good attention to detail.
- Able to work accurately from verbal and written instructions.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continual basis. It does not exclude other duties that may be assigned.
Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action / Veteran / Disability Employer