Health and Safety Specialist
- Posted: September 09, 2021
This position will be responsible to review, evaluate, and analyze work environments and assist in the design of programs and procedures to control, eliminate, and prevent injury caused by physical, chemical, or ergonomic factors. Duties will include, but not be limited to: Assess and evaluate plant conditions for H&S compliance, conduct or manage inspections and enforce adherence to laws and regulations governing health and safety. It is imperative that the H&S Supervisor develops and maintains proficiency in technical matters related to Industrial Hygiene, especially in the discipline of Air Sampling and Noise. It also is important that the H&S Supervisor maintain professionalism while working in this capacity.
Successful candidates will possess the ability to work with individuals from varied backgrounds, skills, and education levels to complete projects in an efficient and organized manner.Responsibilities:
- Assist in the leading of the plant safety program and drive positive safety culture.
- Take regular noise level readings in plant areas as required.
- Inspect and maintain a log of all emergency response equipment and operational status.
- Must be familiar with all hygiene related equipment and assist in maintenance.
- Assist with reports and statistical analysis of Health and Safety data for corporate review.
- Attend, complete, or conduct training or programs related to safety and employee wellness.
- Conduct new-hire employee safety orientation.
- Assist with incident investigations, root cause analysis, and corrective action planning and execution.
- Maintain and work within department budget. Support plant financial objectives.
- Conduct mandated employee health and safety training programs as required by the Health and Safety Training Matrix, such as Hazard
- Communication, Lock Out/Tag Out and Personal Protective Equipment.
- Serve as the leader of plant/union monthly safety committee.
- Direct and monitor the activities of the Plant Nurse as needed
- Perform field audits of all personal protective equipment in use in field.
- Perform atmospheric monitoring of all work areas and record results appropriately.
- Audit safety performance of all employees including all reporting forms and audit sheets.
- Work with supervision to develop and implement Job Safety Analysis and Site Specific Rescue Plans for each job.
- Assisting in the review and update of the Air Sampling Plan (ASP)
- Calibration and maintenance of Air Sampling equipment
- Collection of Air Samples in line with an established ASP
- Submission of samples for analysis in accordance with established procedures
- Maintenance of records (e.g., ASP data collection sheets, complaint sampling data collection sheets, intermittent exposure monitoring data collection sheets, equipment calibration documents, memos and formal reports related to Air Sampling studies, etc.)
- Recommend sampling methods, strategies and help establish priorities
- Assist in the investigation of employee complaints related to air quality
- Provide assistance to the engineering team for new manufacturing process, construction, demolition and renovation activities
- Review and approve sampling procedures, records, and data prior to sample submittal
- Receive, approve and interpret Industrial Hygiene sample results
- A Bachelor degree in Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Science, Industrial Safety or related field. Will also consider Associates degree with 8-10 years directly related experience
- Prefer 3-5 years industrial safety experience.
- Working knowledge of OSHA and EPA Regulations.
- Knowledge of proper protocol for exposure monitoring.
- Proficient with MS Office Products (Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Outlook, and Word)
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be frequently exposed to fumes, dust, airborne particles, and extreme heat and humidity.
- While some work will be performed in an office setting, the majority of the time the employee will be required to be in the manufacturing facility, where additional exposure is likely.
- All employees are required to wear full face respirators inside the manufacturing facility.
- Qualified candidates must be able to sit, stand, walk, bend, and climb with minimal effort.
Element Resources is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.About Statement:
Element Resources (elementrellc.com) is one of the largest battery recycling companies in the United States. Recycling recovers 99% of all lead received at our recycling centers. Every year we recycle millions of pounds of lead and recover and neutralize millions of gallons of sulfuric acid. Our robust, highly controlled recycling process is a critical part of our commitment to environmental sustainability.
BusinessView all jobs at Element Resources