Our Newport News client is seeking a Direct Hire Product Support Engineer who will research, evaluate, and develop test components and equipment used on all company mining trucks. You will work with their engineering, manufacturing and all customer support departments at the factory and in field locations.conducting system analysis and troubleshooting on mechanical and/or electrical systems.
Absent undue hardship reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Essential Job Duties:
In addition to those duties of a Product Support Representative
- Evaluates new components or modify existing designs intended to improve truck performance and reliability.
- Writes and submits Engineering Change Requests (ECRs) to engineering to correct product performance deficiencies or reliability problems.
- Enter Product Change Requests (PCR’s) to Sales and Marketing based on customer requests for improvements or options
- Provides engineering and technical support to LME service and maintenance personnel.
- Achieves prompt resolution to problems by working directly with LME product support representative affiliates, customers and suppliers. Participates in regular meetings with suppliers identifying reliability problems and implementing improvement measures.
- Documents major maintenance events and other significant product related issues.
- Ensures upgrades and modifications are carried out by affiliates and provide documentation to the factory to substantiate this.
- Participate in design reviews and provide input into develop verification and validation plans for new or redesigned components.
- Oversees the assembly and/or commissioning of trucks ensuring that the assembly, commissioning and operational testing conforms to factory specifications and customer requirements.
- Sign-off and submit commissioning documents to LME Warranty administration prior to customer acceptance of machine(s).
- Directs and coordinates operation, maintenance, and repair of equipment and systems in field installations
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to perform specified engineering tasks.
- Responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; and responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Participates in Product Issue Resolution through data collecting and Root Cause Analysis exercises to resolve field failures
· Team Spirit: Promotes communication and cooperation for the greater good of the company and the customer.
· Customer Focus: Meets the needs of internal and external customers.
· Integrity: Demonstrates honesty, fairness, and trustworthiness. Follows through on commitments and admits to mistakes.
· Safety: Promotes an incident free environment.
Position Specific Competencies:
Job Skills: Applies the required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA) in the performance of essential job duties:
- Knowledge of Database software; Design software; Project Management software; Spreadsheet software, Word Processing software and SharePoint.
- Understanding of the design principals of large electric drive haul trucks.
- Understanding of the design principles for hydraulic systems on off-road haul trucks
- Understanding of structural inspection and repair processes
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listen and get clarification; respond well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills.
- Ability to write clearly and informatively; presents numerical data effectively; and read and interpret engineering drawings and schematics.
- Ability to collect and research data and design work flows and procedures.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to translate concepts and information into images using feedback to modify designs and apply design principles.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; and develop alternative solutions.
- Ability to develop project plans; and communicate changes and progress.
· Safety: Promotes an incident free environment by complying with all company safety policies and procedures and participating in company safety trainings.
· Communication: Organizes and expresses ideas and information clearly, using appropriate and efficient methods of conveying the information.
· Self-Development & Initiative: Identifies personal strengths and weaknesses, and targets areas for self-development. Participates in educational opportunities. Takes initiative and works towards mastering tasks by developing new skills or enhancing existing skills. Looks for opportunities to take on more responsibility.
· Task Achievement: Takes a proactive approach to anticipate and prevent problems. Breaks down problems and issues into components, and analyzes the costs, benefits, opportunities, and risks associated with each alternative solution. Works independently and in team settings to solve problems.
· Dependability & Flexibility: Can be relied upon to handle a fair workload, meet deadlines and commitments, and accept responsibility for actions. Demonstrates an ability to work independently. Handles changes and responds to setbacks with minimal disruption.
· Implementing New Technologies, Processes or Methods: Evaluate and integrate new technologies, processes or methods into the workplace.
· Managing Multiple Priorities: Handles multiple assignments and priorities, while fulfilling all commitments. Accepts new responsibilities and adapts to changes in procedures.
· Quality of Work: Demonstrates accuracy and quality in the quantity of work produced. Ensures that quality standards are met and all procedures are followed. Takes steps to correct mistakes and improve the overall product.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in a related field from four-year College or university and three (3) to five (5) years related experience and/or training; or an Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school and ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee is occasionally required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; outside weather conditions; extreme cold; extreme heat and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
· Ability to obtain and maintain electrical certification in high, medium and low voltage.
· Travel domestically and internationally up to 40-60% of the time for up to 4 weeks duration.
· Ability to obtain and maintain a valid driver license and passport.
· Ability to maintain Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA) certification.