Job Category Spiritual Care Services
Who We Are
An Elder Care Alliance Community
Mercy Retirement & Care Center
Do you enjoy working with seniors? Do you want to work in a setting where you are valued and appreciated? Mercy Retirement & Care Center is a vibrant retirement community located in Oakland. We provide senior assisted living, memory care, skilled nursing and rehabilitation services to meet a variety of health care needs. We pride ourselves on being a person-centered community and value our employees and residents. We are currently hiring.
About This Career Opportunity
This position is exempt, 17 hours/week (34 hours/ 2 week pay period), and does not qualify for benefits. It is ideally and typically worked weekly as three partial days Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (2 days @ 6 hours, and one day @ 5 hours; or 2 days @ 5 hours and 1 day @ 7 hours), to include one or two on-call shifts each week through the night based from home (all Saturdays, and either Thursdays or Fridays). For each of these days you would be responsible for setting up for morning mass, or communion service, assisting the priest as needed with readings and communion distribution during mass, or, leading a communion service distributing pre-consecrated hosts on your own on Saturday mornings. You would also be responsible for distributing communion to those who wish to receive but have not attended services that day, and responding to other spiritual care needs that arise in the course of your workday, collaborating with other Spiritual Care staff to meet resident and staff spiritual care needs on days when two or more Chaplains are working, and taking full responsibility for Spiritual Care needs at Mercy that arise on Saturdays, in addition to other ancillary tasks.
Are You Qualified?
- Eligibility to serve as a Catholic Eucharistic Minister.
- Bachelor's degree with advanced studies in areas of spirituality, theology, or counseling.
- Training and experience in counseling and group facilitation.
- A minimum of two years' experience in chaplaincy or a related field. Certification or Certification eligible: NACC or ACPE. Comparable professional certification paths considered.
- Four units of Clinical Pastoral Education preferred.
- Working knowledge of Title 22, Division 6, Chapter 8.
- Working knowledge of theological/bio-ethical issues, gerontology, and various religious traditions and beliefs.
Elder Care Alliance