POSITION: Patient Registration Clerk (Appointment Desk/Clerks and field clinics)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Patient Services Manager
SALARY: Starting salary will be determined by funding, experience, and training level.
CLASSIFCATION: Non-Management, Regular, Full-time
LOCATION: Elbowoods Memorial Health Center
POSITION SUMMARY: The Patient Services Manager is responsible for this position and for managing and directing all patient activity which occurs at the check-in / registration desk. This individual provides registration eligibility services, exercises judgment when screening incoming patient during the interview process for referrals of patients for follow-up by Benefits Coordinator. This position has a working knowledge of Medicare/Medicaid, SSA, SSI, County Medicaid offices, Tribal Programs and other related agencies policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
1. Interview patients to obtain accurate pertinent Patient Registration information, both demographic and alternate resource.
2. Assists patients in completing new or updated Patient Registration forms for the Electronic Health Record. This includes outpatient, emergencies, and after-hour, and dental, mental health patients.
3. Prepares and compiles the authorization for release of medical information, assignment of benefits and precertification.
4. Gathers and compiles information /patient’s current address of residency; insurance information, Certificate Degree of Indian Blood, Driver’s License, Tribal Enrollment, Social Security Number. Obtains copies.
5. Assesses eligibility and availability of alternate resources in order to refer to Patient Benefits Coordination.
6. Appropriately routes to staff information necessary to verify eligibility of existing alternate resource.
7. Assures patients from the field clinics are also added in the appropriate division of the RPMS system.
8. Coordinates with the three field clinics offices to assure timely and accurate collection of patient registration data at the respective clinic locations in Fort Berthold.
9. Attends in-house in-services, trainings as directed by the Business Office Manager.
10. This position coordinates with the patient benefits coordinator by identifying and referring potentially eligible alternate resource patients for follow-up for the Benefits Coordinator.
11. Greets the patients/client/consumer as they enter Elbowoods Memorial Health Center Services with professional demeanor. Maintains positive public relations.
12. Works closely with Business Office Manager, Patient Registration, other Business Office positions.
13. Will perform duties in accordance with current Federal, State and applicable Tribal law.
14. Complexity: Work involves processing a wide variety of transactions. Working with different computer systems.
15. Maintaining a calm demeanor while working with the general public.
16. Multi-tasking: Understanding current North Dakota state laws in regards to certain legal documents, minors, adoption, and foster, medical directives medical power of attorney among other.
17. Chain of command: Patient Services Manager through Administrative Officer through CEO.
18. Establishes positive communications with all departments of EMHC to assure stable operations.
19. Demonstrates respect and understanding of confidentiality for patients, staff and others, maintains HIPAA Privacy Standards, by not openly using and disclosing protected health information.
20. Notifies Medical Staff of patients who appear to require staff’s attention. This position does not make any medical decisions.
21. Displays initiative in promoting suggestion to improve the overall operation as well as stressing cost containment.
22. Insures high quality services and support by maintaining maximum performance.
23. Maintain required reporting as assigned.
24. Participates in EMHC staff meetings, assigned committees, community events, and other meetings as instructed or deemed necessary.
25. Actively strives to educate the community on the mission, vision and values of EMHC in a positive approach to assist in the growth of the organization and assist our community in its healthcare needs.
26. And other duties as assigned.
NOTE: The duties listed are not intended to be all-inclusive. Duties assigned any individual employee are at the discretion of the appointing authority.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION:
· High School Diploma / GED, REQUIRED.
· Excellent communication skills necessary, REQUIRED.
· Attention to detail necessary, REQUIRED.
· Computer literate and basic proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (spreadsheet, presentation, word processing, email, and database software), REQUIRED.
· Capabilities: Degreed or similar work experience in medical business office management. Past experience in working with a team approach. Past experience with computers. Capable of multi-tasking. Capable of working with the general public and inherent stressors.
· Knowledge of various clinical systems, walk-ins and appointments to avoid unnecessary delay and/or confusion on the part of the patient. Knowledge of the various services offered by each clinic and forms used
· Knowledge of Privacy Act of 1974 and the use of confidential information and health records as an integral part of the interviewing office function and the privacy of individuals which must be protected to the fullest extent possible.
· Knowledge of and ability to use typing keyboard.
· Maintain hard copy and electronic filing system, PREFERRED.
· Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, planning, records management, and general administration.
· Operate standard office equipment.
· Familiarity with American Plains Indian culture, values, and traditions, HELPFUL.
· Must be responsible, dependable, and able to maintain confidentiality of information.
· Must have a valid N.D. driver’s license in good standing and must supply driver’s license abstract from the Department of Motor Vehicle. REQUIRED
· Will need to have an acceptable motor vehicle record. A copy of driver’s license and verification of driver’s record from the North Dakota Department of Motor Vehicle, REQUIRED.
· Must submit to clear Criminal Records Background Check.
· Must submit to an Alcohol/Drug Screen and random testing as per policy.
· Indian Preference will apply. Must submit documentation with application to qualify for Indian Preference.
· Veterans Preference will apply. Must submit documentation with application to qualify for Indian Preference.
· Physical demand: Low intensity walking, bending, sitting. Work performed in office environment.
· Work is performed in an office environment with varying conditions of noise level, temperature, and illumination.
· Occasionally lifts up to 25 pounds of material.
· Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate keyboard, computer and other office equipment.
· Work situations may be stressful and require irregular hours.
· Potential exposure to blood and other hazardous material, communicable diseases, and other conditions common in a health care environment.
· Work is performed inside and with exposure to unpredictable crisis situations.
· Extensive walking is required since interaction between all disciplines within the health care operations and management is required.
· Travel may be required to accomplish facility goals.
This job description is intended to provide an overview of the requirements of the position. It is not necessarily inclusive, and the job may require other essential and/or non-essential functions, tasks, duties, or responsibilities not listed herein. Management reserves the sole right to add, modify, or exclude any essential or non-essential requirement at any time with or without notice. Nothing in this job description, or by the completion of any requirement of the job by the employee, is intended to create a contract of employment of any type.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE APPLICANT TO PROVIDE SUFFICIENT INFORMATION TO PROVE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THREE AFFILIATED TRIBES HEALTH CARE CENTER POSITIONS.