POSITION SUMMARY: (position includes but is not limited to the following):
Position serves primarily as the Medical Coder for the Elbowoods Memorial Health Center and 5 field locations.
Job Summary (position includes, but is not limited to the following):
Assigns and sequences ICD-10-CM/CPT/HCPCS codes to diagnoses and procedures for documented information. Assures the final diagnoses and operative procedures as stated by the physician are valid and complete. Abstracts all necessary information from health records to identify secondary complications and co-morbid conditions.
Quantitative analysis – Performs a comprehensive review for the record to assure the presence of all component parts such as: patient and record identification, signatures and dates where required, and other necessary data in the presence of all reports which appear to be indicated by the nature of the treatment rendered.
Qualitative analysis – Evaluates the record for documentation consistency and adequacy. Ensures that the final diagnosis accurately reflects the care and treatment rendered. Reviews the records for compliance with established third party reimbursement agencies and special screening criteria.
Represents EMHC in a highly professional manner.
Establishes positive communications with all departments of EMHC to assure stable operations.
Demonstrates respect and understanding of confidentiality for patients, staff and others according to policy and HIPAA regulation.
Maintain required reporting as assigned.
Participates in EMHC staff meetings, assigned committees, community events, and other meetings as instructed or deemed necessary.
Actively strives to educate the community on the mission, vision and values of EMHC in a positive approach to assist in the growth of the organization and assist our community in its healthcare needs.
Adheres to the Mission, Vision, and Values of the Elbowoods Memorial Health Centers.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIROMENT
The work requires regular and recurrent standing to perform tasks, walking between the different sections of the facilities, and reaching and bending to obtain supplies and operate systems. Occasionally lifts up to 50 pounds. Position may require driving between clinics in all weather conditions.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION
- High School diploma, REQUIRED. Knowledge of business and accounting processes usually obtained from an Associate in Business Administration, Accounting or Health Care Administration PREFERRED. Must submit copy of degree or transcripts with application.
Minimum of 1 to 3 years’ experience in a medical coding setting using ICD-9-CM or equivalency, REQUIRED. ICD-10-CM Certified, CCS, CCS-P, or CPC certification PREFERRED.
- Possession of a current, valid North Dakota State Driver’s License, reliable transportation, and telephone, REQUIRED.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Must be responsible, dependable, and able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Must submit and pass a Criminal Records Background Check.
- Must submit and pass a Alcohol/Drug Screen and random testing as per policy.
- Indian Preference will apply. Must submit documentation with application to qualify for Indian Preference.
- Veterans Preference will apply. Must submit documentation with application to qualify for Indian Preference.
Work is performed in an office environment with varying conditions of noise level, temperature, and illumination.
Occasionally lifts up to 25 pounds of material.
Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate keyboard, computer and other office equipment.
Work situations may be stressful and require irregular hours.
Potential exposure to blood and other hazardous material, communicable diseases, and other conditions common in a health care environment.
Work is performed inside and outside the property with exposure to inclement weather and unpredictable crisis situations.
Shift work may be required.
Extensive walking is required since interaction between all disciplines within the health care operations and management is required.
Travel may be required to accomplish facility goals.