POSITION SUMMARY: This position is located in the Medical Records Department within the Managed Care Area of the Elbowoods Memorial Health Center, New Town, ND. This position is responsible to coordinate record review and assists requesters with the access to and release of information in a fast paced ambulatory care health center. Respond to requests for medical information by performing duties in accordance with establishing clinic and departmental policy and state federal laws. Responsible for the receipt, scanning, indexing of medical record documents into the electronic health record (HER) in a timely and accurate manner. Obtains information from outside records; inpatient, outpatient visits into the computerized medical data base. Ensures accuracy of medical record data. Processes incoming and outgoing mail on a daily basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES:
Coordinates and completes the release of medical information to all requesters, including patients, physicians, and other healthcare providers
Coordinates and completes the release of medical information to insurance companies and lawyers.
Processes subpoenas and court orders.
Verifies authorizations in accordance with the MTHC Policy and procedure and the state and federal laws.
Ensures all records are stamped with the date received and logged in the correspondent log.
Assists in retrieving medical records for physician completion, when necessary.
Scans health information into the electronic health records system.
Files health Information that has been scanned per HIM Policy.
Works closely with all departments of EMHC and Field Clinics.
Performs quarterly performance improvement activities through chart review etc.
And other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Basic computer skills or willingness to learn.
Ability to maintain patient confidentiality.
Knowledgeable of HIPAA
Strong Organizational Skills
Familiar with Electronic Medical Records
MS, ADOBE, EXCEL
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION:
- Must have a minimum of a high school diploma REQUIRED. Previous clinical experience is a plus. Must submit copy of degree or transcripts with application.
- Computer knowledge and proficiency, REQUIRED.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Must be responsible, dependable, and able to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Must have a valid N.D. driver’s license in good standing and must supply driver’s license abstract from the Department of Motor Vehicle.
- Will need to have an acceptable motor vehicle record. A copy of driver’s license and verification of driver’s record from the North Dakota Department of Motor Vehicle, REQUIRED.
- Must submit and clear Criminal Records Background Check.
- Must submit to an Alcohol/Drug Screen and random testing as per policy.
- Indian Preference will apply. Must submit documentation with application to qualify for Indian Preference.
- Veterans Preference will apply. Must submit documentation with application to qualify for Indian Preference.
Work is performed in an office environment with varying conditions of noise level, temperature, and illumination.
Occasionally lifts up to 25 pounds of material.
Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate keyboard, computer and other office equipment.
Work situations may be stressful and require irregular hours.
Potential exposure to blood and other hazardous material, communicable diseases, and other conditions common in a health care environment.
Work is performed inside with exposure to unpredictable crisis situations.
Shift work may be required.
Extensive walking is required since interaction between all disciplines within the health care operations and management is required.
Travel may be required to accomplish facility goals.