- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
POSITION TITLE: Lobbyist (Job #2022-11)
DEPARTMENT: Public Affairs
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of Public Affairs
EMPLOYEE GROUP: TEMPO
LOCATION: St. Paul Headquarters
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: 1 Year
FLSA/GRADE LEVEL: Exempt
The individual (lobbyist) in this role will directly report to the Director of Public Affairs. The lobbyist will advocate on behalf of Education Minnesota’s 80,000 plus educators, working with a team of policy & public affairs staff, educator member leaders, and other union staff to mobilize our membership in support of our legislative agenda, with an emphasis on preparing members for meetings with legislators, Capitol visits, committee testimony, etc.
Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate, individually and collectively, in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Apply critical thinking and innovative thinking to offer strategic recommendations in the development and maintenance of effective lobbying and advocacy efforts.
- Advocate and lobby effectively for Education Minnesota’s issues consistent with our legislative priorities, platform and positions, with an emphasis on ensuring racially just schools.
- Represent the organization and promote member advocacy at the Legislature, state agencies and related policy functions as appropriate.
- Prepare testimony and talking points for presentations in public policy, legislative and rule hearings and meetings.
- Track legislative bill introductions and voting records on key legislation and conduct legislative research as directed.
- Develop and maintain constructive and respectful relationships that further the interests of Education Minnesota with key members of the legislative and administrative branches of government, education related organizations and community groups.
- Develop legislative materials and updates to inform and mobilize members to participate in legislative action activities that promote the union’s legislative agenda.
- Participate in the formulation of the union’s legislative agenda with member committees and other staff, including Education Minnesota’s Ethnic Minority Affairs Committee and Affirmative Involvement Plan.
- Participate in internal and external anti-racist, LGBTQ+ trainings to support growth and individual equity goals, including assessments of intercultural competence.
- Implement policies and programs consistent with the operational needs of the organization as determined by the Director of Public Affairs.
- Assist member leaders with elevating their unique voice and perspectives for effective advocacy.
- Identify, train and prepare members for committee testimony.
- Assist local unions with political/legislative organizing as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the legislative and political process.
- Understanding of lobbying principles and activities at the local, state or federal level.
- Ability to collaborate with others in a team oriented environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, speaking and making presentations.
- Experience in working with confidential and sensitive information.
- Knowledge of, and background in, anti-racist practice and/or cultural competence.
- Skill in strategic thinking and problem solving, including the ability to identify and appropriately evaluate alternatives.
- Ability to analyze and interpret legislative language to determine its impact to the organization and to make recommendations for appropriate action.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum three years of experience working at the legislature or lobbying OR
- AA/AS degree and five (5) years experience in government relations, legislative, lobbying or demonstrated equivalent in direct experience.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination card). If you have a medical exemption you will be asked to provide a written waiver from your medical provider. If you have a religious objections you will be asked to provide documentation stating your religious objection.
- Experience in lobbying at the local, state or federal level.
- Working knowledge of education issues important to Education Minnesota members.
- Demonstrated relationships with members of the Minnesota Legislature.
- Experience and skill in working with, and forming, coalitions.
Maintain confidential information related to the organization and all personnel employees and staff.
MACHINES AND/OR TOOLS OPERATED
- Personal computer
- Internet and browser software
- Windows-based word processing software
Work is in a general office environment. Employee is required to: talk and hear; have color vision, frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically lift and carry up to 40 pounds; occasionally lift up to 75 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
- Some travel with overnight stays
- Frequent evening and weekend work required.
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For best consideration, apply online and include a resume. Posting is open until filled.
AddressSaint Paul, MN
Get fresh Public Works DEPT jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.