Job Title: Bookkeeper
Reports to: Assistant Manager/Community Manager
Job Level: Site
Hours: 40 hours per week; flexible based on the collections needs of the collections accounts
To maintain future, current and previous resident and vendor accounts within standards acceptable to ownership and Edgewood/Vantage Management.
To manage an appropriate balance between revenue and expenses commensurate with budget expectations approved by ownership and Edgewood/Vantage Management
To ensure accurate daily reporting in all financial operating systems
- Completes the daily transactions by collecting and posting rent, fees and other payments and preparing daily bank transactions/deposits when necessary.
- Processes daily invoices with Community Manager Approval.
- Reviews resident Lease files and accounting records to determine unpaid and/or late fees owed, communicates with residents regarding outstanding balances, implements procedures for collecting on delinquencies and enforces the lease to maximize revenue.
- Incorporates a variety of communication avenues to achieve maximum effectiveness.
- Follows the property’s established procedures related to evictions by following proper notice requirements, evicting residents and representing the property in court eviction hearings as needed.
- Communicates regularly with local housing offices to ensure resident compliance.
- Documents conversations/payment plans/agreements in Onesite for review.
- Assists Sheriffs in final execution of evictions on various dates as scheduled through their local offices.
- Processes move ins, move outs, final account statements, accepting/approving notices to vacate, applying appropriate fees and deposits as stipulated by the lease agreement and local jurisdiction.
- Updates utility logs documenting any irregular or abnormal charges and/or usage.
- Assists in compiling data for monthly narratives and corresponding reports by the 7th of the calendar month.
- Assists in managing the owner/client relationship by meeting with the owners, providing financial updates for review and responding to requests as needed.
- May assist the leasing staff by greeting customers and offering refreshments.
- May assist operations through various duties as assigned by the Community Manager.
- Communicates with vendors to insure timely receipt of invoices
- Reviews invoices for accuracy of charges ie: Labor and Materials – clarification provided by Community Manager and Maintenance Manager “as needed”
- In October of each year, the Bookkeeper will insure communications are delivered to all vendors that invoices for that particular year are received in December
- Perform any other tasks and/or duties as directed
- Follows established policies and procedures by monitoring and ensuring compliance regulatory requirements, organizational standards and operational processes related to property operations, and reporting violations or infractions to the appropriate individual(s).
- Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with Company, property and departmental policies, procedures and standards by immediately reporting issues to the appropriate individual(s).
- Identifies areas for improvement and offers suggestions to improve the efficiency, productivity and profitability of the property.
- Keeps abreast of new trends and changes in the industry and area(s) of responsibility by attending internal and external training classes, apartment association meetings and other events.
- Bookkeeper works primarily in an office environment but will frequently knock on doors, and visit residents at their homes.
- Full exposure to all outside elements throughout all seasons where temperature, weather, odors, and/or landscape may be unpleasant and/or hazardous.
- Must be capable of physically accessing all exterior and interior parts of the property and amenities.
- Must be able to push, pull, lift, carry or maneuver weights up to 20lbs. independently and 50lbs. with assistance.
- Routine local travel may be required to make bank deposits, attend training classes, or other situations necessary for the accomplishment of some or all of the daily responsibilities of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to read, write and communicate effectively to comprehend legal documents, sell and explain apartment features, and answer questions about the property’s operations.
- Proficiency in internet, word processing, spreadsheet and database management programs in order to complete required reports. Strong proficiency in using property management software (preferably Onesite).
- Demonstrated mathematical skills necessary to add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers, decimals and fractions, and calculate percentages in order to complete financial records, budgets and other fiscal reporting information.
- Demonstrated understanding of property operations and in particular, of lease terms and lease enforcement, specifically collections.
Members of Team Edgewood enjoy a positive, supportive environment where employees are encouraged to develop their skills and talent to their fullest potential.
At Edgewood, we believe that a well-trained staff is vital to achieving the highest client and customer satisfaction. Training makes our team members the best in their fields. Through Edgewood Vantage University (EVU) we offer the best tools and resources needed to succeed.