The Payroll/Human Resources Specialist will process bi-weekly payroll using online payroll service. Must maintain ongoing maintenance of payroll system GL interface to ensure accurate collection and output of custom payroll reports and data; development of payroll reports using system report writing function, ongoing auditing, analysis and reconciliation of payroll data and reports; and maintenance of payroll records and files.
The Payroll/Human Resources Specialist provides broad professional HR services to all Eden Housing managers and employees in the areas including (and not limited to): Payroll, Staffing, Employment, Compensation, and Policy Administration/ Compliance. The Payroll/Human Resources Specialist is responsible for excellence in customer satisfaction and operating cost efficiencies for functional areas and serves as a resource to both managers and employees. Provides supports to the other members of the human resources team, as needed.
- Process payroll according to payroll processing requirements. This includes processing Eden Housing’s regular payroll on bi-weekly basis, managing the wage garnishment process, participate in addressing and responding to wage and hour complaints, prepare the termination paperwork for departing staff.
- Reviews payroll for accuracy and distributes paychecks per company policy. Prepares and issues manual paychecks, as needed. Maintains associated files and payroll records consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
- Interprets company policies and governmental regulations affecting payroll procedures. Stays abreast of changes in laws and regulations governing the processing of payroll.
- Reviews wage, payroll and tax reports generated by payroll service for accuracy of total wages, and labor distribution. Analyzes results, investigates any problems and resolves discrepancies, as appropriate.
- Records changes affecting net wages such as exemptions, insurance and benefit coverage for each employee to update master payroll records.
- Develops, prepares, analyzes and interprets periodic reports of wages and allocations.
- Prepares labor distribution information for the purpose of determining department and project costs and preparation of project invoices.
- Prepares and maintains calendar for submission of timesheets, personnel action forms and other documentation needed for processing biweekly payroll.
- Communicates changes to employees regarding wage and tax laws, timesheet submission, completion of payroll forms, calculation of pay or paycheck distribution.
- Maintains timely and accurate recordkeeping systems for vacation and sick leave accrual and nontaxable wages.
- Create and maintain payroll procedures manual in conjunction with the HR Manager.
- Work with Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition assisting with interviewing and selecting as requested, completion of the background check process.
- Maintain employment postings on Company and external websites when needed.
- Prepare for and lead the new employee orientation and Company orientation. Revise and create new materials as needed.
- Maintain organizational charts on the server and update the HR section of the Intranet.
- Ensure timely and accurate processing of all personnel transactions to improve upon the overall operational effectiveness and efficiency of the human resources function.
- Provide administrative and clerical support for department: create new hire orientation/supervision binders, create mailings/payroll attachments and distribute to employees, assemble benefit packets, file paperwork.
- Respond to agency requests for personnel-related information and materials.
- Generate the employee service award report and awards.
- Exit interview process-as needed.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) or equivalent in human resources management or business related field preferred;
- OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- PHR certification, or other Human Resources certification, required.
- Payroll certification strongly preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish and English, both written and spoken, required.
PREFERRED SKILLS and/or ABILITIES
- 2 years payroll processing experience, preferably using Ceridian’s and Dayforce Internet based HRIS/Payroll Service. Solid understanding of payroll administration and payroll tax laws as well as accounting operations.
- Ability to analyze financial data. Acceptance and application of the confidential nature of the position.
- Extensive knowledge of state and federal labor laws.
- Experience coordinating and delivering best practices training and development programs.
- Able to work with wide variety of personalities and deal with each person in an effective and professional manner. Solid experience advising managers regarding performance management and employee relations.
- Proven experience using compensation systems and programs.
- Strong presentation, communication (verbal and written), influence, decision-making, interpersonal, conflict resolution and time management skills. Ability to communicate and interface professionally and sensitively to staff, board, residents and public. Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Able to research, analyze, solve, and follow through on complex tasks. Able to successfully meet deadlines and achieve goals. Flexible, agile, innovative, accurate, detailed-oriented and well organized.
- Commitment to the companies’ goals and philosophy including excellence in customer service and communication. Able and willing to travel to all company locations to provide HR services.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must have reliable automobile transportation and a valid California Driver's License and insurance.
For 50 years, Eden has demonstrated that safe, decent, affordable homes provide a platform for families to succeed. Our homes are the launching pad for children to go to college and families to get ahead, and a landing place for seniors to age in place with dignity, courtesy and respect.
Eden has worked in partnership with cities and local community partners to develop or acquire more than 10,600 homes in communities throughout California, currently serving a diverse population of 22,000 low-income residents from all cultures and backgrounds. Since our humble beginnings, more than 100,000 people have come home to an Eden community.
Our vision is for everyone to have access to safe, decent, affordable housing. We believe that housing is a basic human necessity that is essential to everyday life and future success.
We serve very low, low and moderate-income families, seniors, veterans, people living with physical, mental, or developmental disabilities, and the formerly homeless.