The Medical Assistant assists the Plastic Surgeon in clinic one day a week on Fridays only. This position includes welcoming patients to Echelon Surgical Specialists, updating patient information in the electronic health record (EHR) system, chaperoning the Plastic Surgeon during patient exams, taking notes during the examination, occasionally assisting the Plastic Surgeon during in-clinic procedures and communicating important information to the Echelon Surgical Specialists business office.
Medical Assistant Job Duties:
- Greets patients in the reception area and escorts them to the exam room.
- Verifies patient information by reviewing patient intake forms, asking patient important health questions, recording medical history in the EHR, and confirming the purpose of visit.
- Provides patients with educational folders, scans insurance cards if applicable, and asks patients to sign photo consents and HIPAA forms.
- Chaperones the Plastic Surgeon during physical exams and takes notes during the exam, including details about the procedure(s), costs quoted, concerns expressed, and possible surgery dates.
- Assists the Plastic Surgeon during clinic procedures, such as by holding pressure.
- Maintains safe, secure, healthy, and professional work environment by establishing and following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Helps patients schedule follow-up appointments when applicable.
- Maintains close communication with Plastic Surgeon and Business Office in all patient matters.
Medical Assistant Skills and Qualifications:
Excellent verbal communication skills with a patient-oriented approach
Ability to confidentially take patient information and record relevant details in EHR system
Excellent written communication skills to take extensive notes during patient encounters
Ability to be professional and courteous at all times
Punctuality and Reliability
Plastic surgery or dermatology experience preferred but not required. Medical Assistant does not need to be certified for this position. Students currently pursuing nursing and allied health related degrees are encouraged to apply.