Director of Marketing, Communications and PR - Remote
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
POSITION: Director of Marketing, Communications and PR
LOCATION: Remote, must be located in California with preference for driving distance to extended San Francisco Bay Area and occasional travel required
JOB TYPE: Full-time, exempt
REPORTS TO: CEO
Our current food system is hurting our children and our planet. Processed food is the top driver of disease and climate change. Why isn’t school lunch the best meal of the day for many kids? That’s where Eat Real comes in.
Founded in 2012, Eat Real provides kids across America access to real food – food that nourishes our children and regenerates our planet. We also raise awareness and advocate for redesigning the nation’s food system.
In 2022, Eat Real’s certification program included over 500 schools across the country, helping make 120 million healthier and greener meals accessible to over 300,000 students. Our community-driven K-12 program and certification model gets rid of heavily processed foods, unhealthy ingredients, and cuts from the diet more than 10 pounds of sugar per student per year. We’ve added kid-friendly, plant-based options to school menus and increased local sourcing. This strengthens local economies while improving nutrition security and reducing food waste. Our impact is proven - we have an additional 2,000 schools on the waitlist to be Eat Real certified.
We also generate awareness of these issues and advocate for policy change. Recently, we helped build the School Meals for All coalition of 70+ nonprofits that successfully passed universal free meals for K-12 students in California. We also began hosting special community dinners with innovative chefs, doctors, health experts, thought leaders, community activists and school leaders to have them experience our program and spread the word. And we’re getting noticed! We received a Fast Company World Changing Idea Award and CBS News just featured a segment on our impact.
The Director of Marketing, Communications and PR will lead the organization’s marketing, communications (“comms”) and media relations efforts, supporting fundraising, community outreach, and policy/advocacy strategies and infrastructure. This person will help build our organization, create community and drive awareness. Reporting to the CEO, they will partner with the entire team with the primary responsibility for organization-wide external & internal communications, marketing strategy, creative direction, brand positioning and department operations. This position will work across the organization to raise both the nonprofit’s and the real food movement’s awareness and deepen engagement to support the nonprofit’s award-winning program and impact.
The essential duties and responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
Lead Marketing, Comms and PR Efforts
- Lead the team as department head to help design and deliver strategic plans for the organization.
- Oversee, organize and prioritize all marketing, comms and PR operations, initiatives and cross-functional initiatives with excellence based on organization impact goals with a special focus on donor engagement. Report on status, capacity, growth and needs while proposing strategies and action plans.
- Develop the organization’s messaging platform and ensure a cohesive message and voice in all areas. Refresh the nonprofit’s brand positioning, core tools (e.g., website) and engage all stakeholders in the evolution of the brand, messaging and supporting strategies.
- Lead the Marketing team and manage team members to help them achieve their goals, contribute to a strong team and develop in their careers.
- Collaboratively determine and lead the development of the department’s tech stack, processes and tools necessary to achieve department goals as well as partnership + support ecosystem (contractors, etc).
- Provide marketing/comms/PR training opportunities and a culture of story-telling for our nonprofit’s leaders and constituents.
- Act as institutional editor, reviewing and finalizing (non-program) external facing documents and communications.
Organization Awareness Building and Development Support
- Help lead organization events and support contractors, volunteers, etc to inspire and engage leading visionaries, philanthropists, and investors/execs resulting in support for multi-year campaigns.
- Lead team in creation of department strategy for content and content from written to video including blogs, podcast, newsletter design, publications, and Op-Eds, social media and conference/speaking opportunities.
- Collaborate cross functionally with all team members to deliver on grant-funded marketing priorities and to build our donor community.
- Support the program team’s and all team’s impact collection strategy to support fundraising including collecting impact information in multiple formats for distribution and reporting to stakeholders and donors.
PR & Influencer Engagement & Marketing/Comms/PR Operations
- Lead the building of our external PR strategy, design PR calendar and create plans to engage/cultivate press relationships ongoing.
- Build Influencer engagement strategy, calendar and plan to engage/cultivate
- Help develop and launch Eat Real’s new chef council engaging all stakeholders, including chefs, foodservice professionals, donors and students via events, celebrations, tours and community building.
- Develop swag and merchandise plans to engage influencers and advocates in our mission.
- Prepare an annual report on reach, impact and sentiment of all coverage for all stakeholders including Board of Directors.
Real Food Partnerships, Education, and Community Engagement/Activation
- Develop and implement consumer-facing campaigns.
- Expand current partnerships and be responsive to new collaborations.
- Develop, oversee tests and help implement community. engagement/activation & events in collaboration with the program team e.g.,:
- K-12 community/student activation toolkits to raise real food/eat real awareness and celebrate districts
- Help create and execute plans to recruit and manage advisors, interns, volunteers and contractors to support inspiring and engaging events.
- Consider new techniques, prioritize, test and execute new strategies that deepen engagement, expand awareness and create ambassadors (e.g., designing and implementing an “Eat Real Parent Board”).
Assist in developing and designing Eat Real’s communication strategy for its policy and advocacy initiatives.
Help develop and lead partnerships with like-minded organizations working to advance children’s health, equity, food system innovation and climate change mitigation in terms of community activation.
Support the the CEO by mapping and participating in key committees, partnerships, cross-industry meetings as well as synthesizing insights and sharing back internally and with Eat Real’s Board of Directors
- Prepare an annual summary of activities including impact, circulation, clips, videos that can be used to market organizational successes
- Design and share impact updates for donors
WHAT YOU’LL BRING: We welcome applications from those who are historically underrepresented. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
- Minimum of 5-9 years of marketing experience with team management/supervisory experience in a similar position in either a non-profit or corporate organization.
- A strong writer who can create compelling copy across formats with a portfolio of sample work
- Experience and contacts with broadcast, print and online media
- Experience and knowledge of grammar rules and editing
- Ability to bring new energy, fresh thinking, and innovative ideas to the creation of short and long-term marketing strategy and the implementation of marketing tactics.
- Experience in developing and executing integrated cross-channel campaigns including online and offline media—social media, email marketing, digital advertising, print collateral with expert editorial review
- Experience with tools such as Cision or Meltwater, Photoshop, Sprout Social, Mailchimp, Constant Contact, Asana, GSuite, Slack, etc.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills, with the ability to work effectively cross functionally
- Highly responsive with excellent judgment, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills to interact with the public as well as with colleagues
- High integrity with an ability to act with diplomacy and discretion at all organizational levels, work with a wide range of information, organize details and meet deadlines under pressure
- Strong passion for the organization’s mission and programs
- Bachelor’s degree, marketing or communications preferred
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends
- The above is an overview of responsibilities and as needs arise there may be other responsibilities assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
- Eat Real is a 100% remote environment based in Richmond CA. Must be able to work remotely, generally West Coast hours. Preference for Bay Area location. Work schedule is flexible with availability during standard business hours expected as well as flexibility for evenings or weekend hours for special events and meetings, as needed.
- Ability to travel 30% of the time.
- Driver’s license required
- Ability to lift up to fifty pounds.
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This position is a full-time, exempt, salaried position. Eat Real offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and benefits including generous PTO, paid family leave, health insurance, and a 401(k) plan, as well as a home office stipend.
Salary Range: $110,000- $132,000
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample with this application.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Eat Real is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment in our organization and in our work. Every day we strive to create a healthier future for our colleagues, communities and planet.
this is a remote position
AddressSan Francisco, CA
Get fresh Remote Marketing Director jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.