Are you fluent in American Sign Language and enjoy helping others? If so this may be the job for you!!
Join our Easterseals New Jersey Team in Maplewood NJ!
Do you wish to enrich the lives of people living with disabilities and special needs?
If YES, we have a great role for you!
The Employment Specialist will be fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) and knowledgeable in Deaf culture and accomodations in the workplace for people with hearing loss.
Provide effective supported employment services to assist individuals with disabilities or special needs in obtaining and maintaining competitive employment that results in self-sufficiency and increased independence. Establish and maintain quality employer partnerships that result in the employment of consumers. Document services provided and maintain consumer files according to quality standards.
- Assist consumers in overcoming barriers to employment and secure competitive employment that is consistent with his or her vocational goal.
- Assist the consumer with on-the-job coaching to acquire the skills needed to perform the specific job task, which may require hands on training or other learning accommodations to ensure that skills are learned.
- May work evenings, nights, weekends and/or holidays to accommodate schedules of persons served, employers or other service activity.
- Possess a valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
- Spend at least 65% of more of total scheduled work hours in the community providing services consumers.
- Effective verbal & written communication skills with supervisor, participant and stakeholders
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) and knowledgeable in Deaf culture and accomodations in the workplace for people with hearing loss.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or rehabilitation-related field from an accredited college and a minimum of one year related experience preferred; or an AA degree in Human Services or rehabilitation-related field from an accredited college and at least 2 years of related experience; or a High School Diploma and at least three years of related experience
- Have a knowledge and understanding of disabilities, including associated functional limitations/strengths in the working community, and the ability to train individuals with disabilities on a one-to-one basis using a variety of techniques;
- Be familiar with the demands and expectation of business and industry;
- Must be able to communicate an understanding of the needs of the business community and have an understanding of job performance assessment;
- Bilingual skills preferred
- Possess a valid driver’s license & acceptable driving record.
Easterseals NJ offers paid training, 403(b) Retirement Plan and generous Paid Time Off for all employees! To view all benefit information, visit www.eastersealsbenefits.com.