East Hartford Public Schools is presenting a unique opportunity for a seasoned professional to take charge of a large portfolio consisting of 18 buildings totaling over 1,300,000 square feet and over 200 acres of land, along with an in-house team of 90 and a network of support contractors. With an annual operating budget of $10M+ and a 5-year Capital Improvement Plan which includes 64 projects valued at $31M, there is an exciting mix of daily operations and project management. The Department of Facilities is organized by division: Operations, Maintenance, Security, and Project Management and the Assistant Director of Facilities, who reports directly to the Chief Operations Officer, is responsible for the overall direction and work execution of the Department.
Our ideal candidate has progressive managerial experience in facilities/property management or construction project management, but the diversity of this position affords the ability for a driven individual to move from a related field. Regardless of background, the Assistant Director of Facilities must be able to work in a fast-paced (yet supportive!), environment, constantly drive results, and have the mindset that our facilities deserve to be constantly improved- both operationally and physically.
Even though East Hartford Public Schools is a large organization of over 1,400 professionals, we pride ourselves in our ability to remain nimble and flexible to changing environments and providing personal service. Unlike in many organizations, the Department of Facilities plays a major role in the strategic vision of the District. While it is first and foremost a support service to the educational operations of the District, the Department’s critical role ensures the Assistant Director of Facilities is a highly-visible position that has the ability to make a positive impact across many facets of our operation.
If this sounds like the next career move for you, please visit the link below for the complete job posting, description, and application instructions. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering, business management, construction management, architecture, or related field.
- At least 5 years of managerial experience in building operations, facilities management, property management, construction project management, or related field.
- Strong organizational skills and effective problem-solving/troubleshooting skills.
- Effective communication skills required – including written, verbal and conflict resolution proficiency.
- Possession of human relations skills to work with all staff as a team player.
- Ability to use sound judgement in decision making and maintain a customer-oriented focus, while upholding the best interests of East Hartford Public Schools.
- Well-rounded operational knowledge of building systems, infrastructure, staffing structures, project workflow and budgeting/financial management.
- Familiarity with building trades, construction principles and practices, including building codes and the State DAS School Construction process.
- Knowledge and training in asbestos hazard awareness and general OSHA and safety principles.
- Ability to effectively use technology platforms and systems such as building automation, work order management, Microsoft Office products, Apple products, etc.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Chief Operations Officer
SUPERVISES: Facilities Operations, Maintenance, and Security
JOB GOAL: Direct and oversee departmental activities to ensure optimal operation, maintenance, security, and construction of the District’s real estate assets.
- Utilizes both in-house staff and outside vendors to safely and effectively deliver a wide variety of building services including routine maintenance, cleaning, repair and upgrades, renovations, and required testing/inspections.
- Prepares and manages the department’s operating budget by continually tracking, analyzing, and forecasting throughout the year.
- Develops, maintains, and implements a 5-year Capital Improvement Plan for all district facilities. Effectively scopes and prioritize projects based on needs, funding, and project mix and employs estimating techniques to develop project budgets.
- Creates Request for Proposals and Invitation to Bid packages to procure all required services, products, and project work. Must be able to write moderately technical specifications and clearly articulate procurement intentions, as well as administer a selection process using quantitative and qualitative metrics to ensure best value.
- Plans for systematic maintenance of and proper care for vehicle fleet and equipment.
- Manages simultaneous new construction or renovation projects throughout the project life cycle. Analyzes and makes recommendations of optimal project delivery method for each project, then executes each phase. Depending on size/scope of project, construction management services are either self-performed or contracted to consultants.
7. Administers community use of school facilities.
8. Exercises judgment in administering and implementing departmental functions and is responsible for maintaining and improving upon the efficiency and effectiveness of all areas under his/her direction and control.
9. Develops policies and procedures for departmental functions and compliance with regulations.
10. Assigns, trains, motivates and manages the department’s divisional leadership and administrative staff. Leads and facilitates hiring processes as applicable to a variety of personnel levels.
11. Consults with Human Resources on such personnel actions as hiring, termination, and discipline. Administers collective bargaining agreements and serves as a step in the disciplinary process to resolve labor issues at the lowest possible level.
12. Develops strategic preventive maintenance plans for all building systems and equipment.
13. Supports the troubleshooting efforts of management staff to resolve a wide variety of building issues.
14. Reviews plans and specifications developed by consulting architects and engineers.
15. Prepares written communications and presentations tailored to different target audiences to address building issues/concerns, present projects and strategic plans, provide budget updates, etc.
16. Produces informational reports and agenda items/support packages for items requiring Board of Education action/approval, and presents such items to the BOE and its Facilities Committee.
17. Coordinates with Town Building Officials, Fire Marshal and other Town / State departments to ensure adherence to applicable codes and standards and oversees any inspections.
18. Works with building administrators on a regular basis to ensure delivery of departmental services meets the needs of the building occupants.
19. Writes grant applications to secure State project funding through the Connecticut Department of Administrative Services Office of School Construction Grants and Review, and manages all requirements of the School Construction Grant Program.
20. Seeks out and applies for grant opportunities to fund projects or operational initiatives, and manages projects in accordance with grant requirements.
21. Assists with supervision of staff during critical storm events and emergencies. Responds after-hours as necessary to provide situational management.
22. Responsible for EPA/OSHA and all legislatively mandated programs at state and federal levels.
23. Manages the District’s Asbestos management plan and serves as the District’s “AHERA Designated Person”
24. Assumes such other functions as may be determined by the Chief Operating Officer
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Twelve-month year. Salary commiserate with experience. Non-union
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board of Education’s policy on evaluations.