- $109,000 to $131,000 Yearly
Position Title: Project Manager
Reports To: COO /Senior Project Manager
Prepared By: Earthtone Construction Inc.
Prepared Date: November 2019
Summary: The Project Manager is responsible and accountable for all areas related to Earthtone Construction Inc.’s (ECI) construction activities. The Project Manager will plan, direct, coordinate, and budget activities related with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. He/ she participates in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversees the organization, scheduling, implementation, and risk management
Duties and Responsibilities: (include but are not limited to the following):
- Work in harmony with the Earthtone Construction Project Management Team.
- Provide leadership to establish and maintain the effective and harmonious working relationship between owner/client, subcontractors, vendors, designers, engineers, and Earthtone Construction employees including carpenters, laborers, etc. Promote and maintain ECI core values, positive project morale, and provide support as necessary.
- Proactively provide context, oversight, and direction throughout all phases of the construction project. Ensure relevant information is communicated to all levels of the project team (onsite and offsite), and continually check for understanding and commitment.
- Identify problems throughout all stages of construction/ pre-construction. Utilize your experience and knowledge as well as engage project team members and outside consultants as appropriate to weigh professional input and provide a clear and concise possible solution.
- Hold the “big picture” and problem solve with perspective. Utilize planning and leadership skills to manage projects proactively rather than reactively to avoid unnecessary conflict, reduce ECI exposure to risk, and cultivate positive team culture.
- Independently and collaboratively examine the contract drawings, specifications, and addenda for design deficiencies, impractical details, and possible code violations. Collaborate with the design team to solve any deficiencies by providing practical solutions and alternatives.
- Independently or in collaboration with the estimator, complete project estimates and/or establish a project budget using ECI standard processes and procedures. Incorporate all tasks required to successfully complete the construction project including but not limited to general conditions, equipment costs, subcontractor costs, material costs, and labor costs. The project budget must include clear and concise detailed notes for presentation to the client, and additional detailed notes as necessary showing the work up of numbers, assumptions, allowances, etc.
- Collaborate with Estimator to maintain subcontractor bid list databases.
- Set up estimating take offs and manage the job buyout/ bid analysis process.
- Coordinate and chair the pre-construction job meeting per ECI standard process and procedures.
- Identify, schedule and lead “milestone” construction job walks (framing, electrical, close-in, etc.)
- Manage, track and ensure accuracy of all project information including budgets, plans and changes (SK’s), change orders, RFI’s, RFP’s, submittals, and samples per ECI standard processes and procedures.
- Maintain project binders and electronic files per ECI standard processes and procedures.
- Independently establish a detailed project schedule using Microsoft Project software. Schedule must establish all necessary tasks, links, predecessors, and milestones to successfully complete the construction project. The project schedule must evaluate resource allocation, product lead times, specialty shop drawings, the complete submittal process, subcontractor and self-performed work schedules, etc.
- Continually maintain the project schedule to define ongoing risk, delays, slippage, and opportunity; clearly communicate project schedule to project team. Ensure entire project team is meeting scheduled milestone and deliverable dates.
- Negotiate and execute profitable vendor contracts in accordance with ECI standard processes and procedures. Contracts must follow the project documents and include all insurance and legal requirements.
- Collaborate directly with the Project Superintendent to develop and maintain the construction program including quality control procedures, safety and security practices, field office location and layout, temporary utilities, staging areas, equipment and manpower, etc.
- Ensure compliance with all Cal-OSHA/OSHA regulations and implementation of all Earthtone Construction safety programs including weekly safety meetings, ongoing periodic employee and vendor training, accident reporting, safety infraction documentation, and record keeping.
- Oversee the procurement of all permits and/or licenses necessary to complete the construction project. Independently collaborate with state and local agencies to define requirements and communicate with the project team to ensure those requirements are met. Deliver permit documents to the Project Superintendent in a timely manner.
- Review and code all applicable employee timecards, project invoices, receipts, and tags in a timely manner. Ensure coding and costs correspond to the project budget, contracts, and subcontracts.
- Prepare monthly project billing in accordance with ECI’s standard processes and procedures.
- Independently manage, track, and report current and projected project financial health and profitability.
- Collaborate with Project Superintendent to thoroughly review shop drawings and submittals to ensure compliance with the project documents. Ensure that fit, field measurements, and site conditions have been considered.
- Report weekly to Senior Management to clearly provide a project status update, resource needs, etc.
- Chair and minute weekly construction meetings with owners, owner’s representative and/or architect, and other members of the design and construction team as you establish. Issue detailed minutes and action items within 48 hours of the meeting’s end.
- Issue weekly written construction progress updates to the project team including a clear and concise written narrative of construction progress, deliverables, short interval schedule, and a Dropbox link to project photographs.
- Maintain an organized record of project photographs for the life of the project.
- Manage the assembly of the project Operations and Maintenance manual and as-built drawings.
- Manage and drive completion of the project punch list and coordination of maintenance and warranty work.
- Work in harmony and collaboratively with the Project Superintendent to support the Superintendent role and responsibilities as required for the success of the construction project. Such support includes but is not limited to establishing and maintaining short interval project schedules, establishing resource requirements, review of vendor shop drawings, etc.
- Work in harmony and collaboratively with office administration staff such as accounts payable, Controller, etc. to get all information required in a clear and expedient manner.
- Maintain good relations and communications with all involved in the project including neighbors and the public.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Directly supervise, task, and review Project Engineer’s work on specific projects.
- Responsible for the overall direction, supervision, coordination, and evaluation of all construction labor and subcontractors.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Earthtone Construction policies and applicable laws and regulations.
Education and/or Experience:
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard construction means and methods from site work to finish.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management or Engineering (civil or mechanical) preferred.
- Six (6) years related experience, and/or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Other Desired Skills and Abilities:
- Strong project management and organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects at one time.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills to work effectively with all levels within the organization.
- Ability to plan, supervise, and exercise effective leadership of the project team.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate professionally at all levels.
- Fluency in reading Civil, Structural and Architectural plans.
- Fluency in quantity take offs from plans.
- An energetic, forward-thinking, and creative individual with high standards and an appropriate professional image.
- Ability to identify problems and issues to develop and evaluate options to implement solutions.
- Ability to apply common sense and to deal with problems involving several fixed variables.
- Effectively execute plans and programs that achieve established organizational goals and objectives.
- Computer literacy and proficiency in industry software including but not limited to: Procore, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Bluebeam Revu, Dropbox, Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Project, and Outlook.
- Other training and/or certifications desired: OSHA 30, First Aid/CPR.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to move/ function within an office environment
- Ability to move/ function safely within construction job sites
- Ability to write by hand and use keyboard extensively
- Ability to communicate by speech and hearing continuously
- Visual acuity needed for close detail work and computer use; specific vision abilities include close/ distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to occasionally walk, stand, stoop, kneel, crouch, and reach with hands and arms
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and carry up to 100 pounds with assistance
- Ability to respond to emergencies and work long hours
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to a general office environment. The employee is exposed to outdoor weather conditions when conducting onsite field visits. The employee is occasionally exposed to a variety of extreme conditions at construction job sites (such as, fumes or airborne particles and moving mechanical parts and vibration).
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. However, when visiting job sites, equipment noise can be a much higher level.
Acknowledgment: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee incumbent in this position. The Employee may be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested.
Earthtone is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Earthtone is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request accommodation, please email us.
Earthtone ConstructionSebastopol, CA
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.