ERM is hiring a Chemical/Waste Program Lead in Newark, DE. This key role provides leadership for managing and handling of waste at various client sites. This is a full-time contract position through December 2020.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Provides guidance to researchers and site personnel in all questions related to waste, ranging from non-hazardous to hazardous waste collection, packaging, and shipping.
· Close collaboration and communication with R&D researchers and managers is essential to success, understanding needs and priorities across multiple businesses.
· The workload and activities are diverse and require the ability to adapt to new challenges on a routine basis.
· Coordinates waste shipments at various client sites; signs manifests; this may involve multiple waste/recycling vendors for cost savings and waste reduction.
· Ensures all waste is shipped offsite within the 90-day limit.
· Completes required documentation including waste manifest logs and manifest tracking. Documents all requirements are met for each material/ shipment, including EPA/RCRA, DOT and OSHA.
· Oversees waste vendor providing waste consolidation/lab packing services and 90-day area inspections for various client sites.
· Determine appropriate waste streams for consolidation based on goals and site needs. Work with Sourcing and vendors to determine most cost effective and environmentally friendly means of removal.
· Review, approve and sign profiles – determining best processes for recycling/ disposing of materials
· Completes annual and biennial waste reports.
· Contribute with corporate and recycling reports, as required
· Responsible for writing, simplifying and maintaining the waste procedures for the client, including requirements for various client sites.
· Updates and maintains waste training packages.
· Determines resource needs (contractor/vendor staffing) and provides technical guidance and leadership related to all site waste matters.
· Track waste invoices for all services.
· Provide budgetary input to Environmental Leader.
· Monitors and evaluates waste program through audits and attending DNREC inspections/audits.
· Drives continuous improvement initiatives to benefit quality of work, timeliness of shipments, safety of personnel/contractors, as well as overall effectiveness of the waste program.
· Minimum of 5-year experience in a waste program role either in R&D or in a manufacturing environment.
· 2-year degree in a scientific discipline. Equivalent experience will be considered.
· 8-10 years of applicable experience in the chemical/waste industry.
· 1910.120 HAZWOPER Training, Hazmat Technician certification.
· Six Sigma certification (Green Belt or Black Belt)
· Familiarity with EPA, DOT and applicable federal, state and local regulations.
· DOT Manifest training (manifest, packaging and shipping), RCRA McCoy Training or similar. Proficient in Excel
· Must be extremely familiar with all aspects of site waste program and regulations, including generation, packaging/shipping, manifesting and reporting.
· Expertise with handling highly hazardous materials, HTMs, DEA, CFATS chemicals and related waste streams.
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate with all levels of personnel (e.g., from entry level to PhD, engineering consultants, and crafts personnel).
· Strong organizational, multi-tasking and planning skills to manage competing priorities.