Experienced Geotechnical Engineer - Midwest Region
EJS Group, LLC Northbrook, IL
- Posted: over a month ago
Northbrook, IL is seeking to grow its team with an experienced Geotechnical Engineer for the Midwest. The ideal candidate is a well-rounded engineer with a professional network in the Chicago land area, who is able to tackle complex geotechnical/geological assignments. In this role, youll build business, lead teams, and manage projects. You'll also contribute to company-wide objectives through mentoring, participation in office and company development initiatives, involvement in the Technical Resource Groups (TRGs), and business development.
A global firm of engineers, architects, and materials scientists committed to helping solve, repair, and avoid problems in the built world. Since 1956, our applied experience from more than 125,000 projects and our state-of-the-art laboratory and testing facilities have made us a leader in providing innovative yet practical solutions to the clients we serve.
- Manage projects, including developing project scope, assembling and managing appropriate project teams, maintaining project schedules and budgets, and managing client expectations and deliverables
- Develop client relationships, including attracting new and repeat business
- Analyze research and investigation data and develop alternative solutions for solving problems
- Conduct on-site inspection/investigation including survey and documentation of distress
- Hold leadership roles in professional organizations, author papers, attend conferences, and perform work on technical committees
- Advanced degree (MS or higher) in geotechnical and/or geological engineering studies with 10+ years of related experience, primarily in the Chicago land or upper Midwest area
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer in one or more Midwestern state
- Licensure as a Geotechnical Engineer in one or more Midwestern state strongly preferred
- Experience with settlement analyses for buildings and structures, as well as ground improvement methods inclusive of underpinning and other remedial measures for distressed structures
- Working knowledge of bridge foundations, earth shoring systems (including sheet piles), and analysis of embankments on soft ground
- Expertise in foundation design and performance for typical soft soil Chicago area profiles, including deep foundations
- Tunneling experience is a welcome enhancement
- Exposure to litigation and insurance claim cases
- Strong technical, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical ability and fluency in one or more geotechnical analysis computer programs, such as LPile, SLIDE, MATLAB and Mathcad
- Willingness to work in the field and travel outside the local area, depending on workload and project locations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This position requires visual acuity and listening ability. Individuals must have the dexterity to be able to operate office and field equipment such as computers, printers, fax machines, copiers, telephones, voice mail systems, and other office and field equipment. Requirements may also include:
- Ability to attend meetings at various office, field, and construction sites
- Ability to perform observations of exploratory pits and soil sampling
- Ability to take measurements of piezometers, inclinometers, etc.
- Ability to lift and carry materials and equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to perform in the temperature extremes presented by work in the outdoors
- Ability to read geotechnical reports, geological maps, construction drawings, printed materials, and computer screens
- Ability to record data clearly and write passages for reports, letters, etc.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to safely work in excavations and at heights
- Ability to safely use and/or operate ladders, scaffolds, lifts, and other access equipment
- Ability to understand and appreciate safety training specific to numerous workplace and construction hazards
- Ability to safely work in a variety of occupationally hazardous locations
- Medically fit to utilize respiratory protection devices and other forms of Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to drive and safely operate a motor vehicle