Scope of Job:
The Director, Project Development, is responsible for directing and managing Company project development activities to ensure these are delivered in accordance with the strategic objectives of the Company and in coordination with Company management and senior personnel. The Director will be responsible for all aspects of the Company's solar PV and battery storage project development efforts, including locating and contracting with landowners for project-appropriate sites throughout North America, performing project diligence, understanding interconnection options and securing interconnection agreements, identifying, applying for, and securing required permits, licenses, and approvals for a project, and coordinating with internal design and construction professionals and external consultants. The successful candidate will have strong management, strategic, and organizational skills; a deep passion for renewable energy and storage; the ability to communicate effectively with landowners, government officials, and project stakeholders; and significant and successful experience in development of renewable energy projects, including real estate contracting, land use and other permitting, coordination of development matters with project design and construction professionals, and identification and management of development constraints on project implementation.
- Project Development Management and Execution Manage a team that develops, and engage directly in the development of, Company projects, including: securing appropriate project sites in targeted areas; retaining and working with consultants and independently to perform project diligence; researching, applying for, and appearing before governmental officials in support of, and meeting with community representatives to secure support for, project permits; researching and understanding interconnection requirements and constraints for a project and facilitating interconnection agreement negotiation and execution; establishing and implementing project development plans and schedules; collaborating with originators, engineers, and project construction personnel across the Company to align development outcomes with project origination, design, and construction constraints; tracking and reporting on project development tasks; and managing junior project development personnel to support project development efforts.
- Manage and direct contracting with third-party consultants and professionals to provide project development deliverables (surveys, studies, reports, etc.), including developing and maintaining strong consultant relationships.
- Participate in Company strategic planning initiatives and decision-making.
- Prepare and implement an annual strategic plan and budget for project development.
- Other duties as assigned
Supervision of Others:
Manage the Company's Project Development team, including Project Development Managers, Project Development Analysts, and interaction with other professionals within the Company to support project development efforts.Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree: business, environmental, or engineering degree
- 7+ years of experience in renewable energy project development or comparable project development experience
- Prior renewable energy industry experience, particularly solar or solar + storage
- Leadership abilities to motivate, lead, manage, coordinate and direct project development team, including Company personnel and outside consultants.
- Interpersonal skills, diplomacy, win-win mindset, and effective strategic relationship builder with both internal/external project stakeholders
- Ability to navigate complex large organizations while maintaining a nimble and entrepreneurial approach
- Experience in developing strategy, managing project development tasks and methods; and driving decision making processes
- Organizational skills with the ability to plan, organize and implement a range of project development tasks
- Proven track record of effective communications with project stakeholders, including energy customers, government officials, utility representatives, and community members
- Basic legal knowledge, NDAs, real estate agreements, PPAs, and EPC agreements
- Basic technical understanding of renewable technologies
- Time management skills with the ability to manage multiple and fast changing priorities
- Analytical skills understand the economic, technological and permitting issues of a project
- Proven ability to read and interpret site plans, land surveys, and title reports and to use or to quickly learn to use research, GIS and database tools
- High energy, and ability to work well in a team environment with proven attention to detail.
- Ability to travel upon request.
- Willingness to embrace and defend a culture of respect, communication, and accountability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
Walking project site visits with varying terrain and weather conditions.
Approximately 60% of the time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers (frequent use of MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Adobe, CAD etc.), telephones, and general office equipment. Approximately 40% of the time is spent interacting with customers and consultants onsite. Fulfills all delegated tasks many of which may be loosely associated with the primary assignment of the job description.
The Director of Project Development will be responsible for proposing and managing development budgets for Company projects and for assuring that development activities adhere to project budgets. Subject to specified spend limits, the Director of Project Development has authorization to execute agreements that make fiscal commitments for the Company (service contracts, change orders, work authorizations).
This position will be based in either our Columbia, MD or West Lebanon, NH office (one position; cross-posted)
Job Posted by ApplicantPro