Legal Administrative Assistant (Corporate Finance)
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Dykema Gossett PLLC, a leading national law firm, is seeking an experienced Legal Administrative Assistant in our Dallas, Texas office. The Legal Administrative Assistant assists attorneys and paralegals in the Corporate Finance practice group in providing quality legal services to clients by preparation of correspondence, legal documents, forms, etc. from dictation or handwritten drafts using various software applications. Maintains calendar, schedules meetings, maintains files, and submits accurate and complete timekeeping data. Performs other administrative duties as requested.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides day-to-day support of attorneys and paralegals in the preparation, recording, filing and transmittal of corporate and other legal documents.
- Creates, types, compares and modifies correspondence, memoranda, notes, outlines, legal documents, charts, forms, etc., whether from drafts, originals or dictation.
- Maintains attorneys’ calendars, including scheduling and reminding attorneys of appointments and various other dates (which may not necessarily require their presence). Initiates and/or gathers from files, Records Center, Library, Internet, etc. pertinent materials which may be needed for meetings. Makes travel arrangements.
- Establishes, maintains and has control over all client, attorney or section files. Independently reorganizes files and anticipates need for reorganization or expansion. Files material in the appropriate order in a timely manner. Reviews files to assure that all documents needed for meetings, appointments, closings, depositions, etc. are in the file and in proper order. Requests files utilizing software system. Utilizes support of Document Clerk and/or Records Clerk when needed.
- Enters new clients and matters into new business intake (NBI) software system. Prepares and submits conflict check forms, screening forms and new matter request forms through NBI
- Enters attorneys’ time from logs, diary notes, correspondence, knowledge of attorneys’ activities, etc. for review utilizing time entry software. Maintains list of all current billing numbers.
- Exercises independent judgment in determining priority levels of all work assigned on a daily basis. Assures all work is completed by deadline and in a timely manner.
- Opens and reads all incoming mail not marked personal and confidential (unless otherwise instructed to do so) and independently responds when appropriate.
- Possesses significant knowledge of the Library to locate information requested by attorney, i.e., the ability to pull cases from cite, locate IRS rules and regulations, etc.
- Answers and screens telephone calls (unless otherwise instructed to do). Assists callers independently on a regular basis. Exhibits the discretion to know when to contact the attorney concerning urgent or emergency calls or when to refer to someone else.
- Reviews the text of billing computer printouts, determines whether amounts are being charged to the right matters, confirms that all time to be billed is reflected, makes obvious corrections (e.g., spelling of names) and independently works with the billing coordinators to ensure correct billing to the client.
- Assists other administrative assistants with work overflow.
- Performs other responsibilities/tasks as requested.
- High school diploma or equivalent educational training.
- Minimum of five years work experience supporting attorneys in a Corporate Finance practice; corporate legal experience also required. Experience in other practice areas is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Superior technical and proofreading skills, including spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Proficiency in word processing software; working knowledge of other software applications such as communications and spreadsheets preferred. Knowledge of E-filing, if working in litigation area. Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required.
- Typing requirement of 55 wpm. High level organizational skills required. Ability to be self-motivated and work independently. Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Litigation experience is a plus.
- High degree of confidentiality regarding clients, guests, conversations, etc.
Dykema continues to strive to maintain a workplace that is free from recognized hazards and to promote the health and well-being of our employees, their families, and those who visit our offices. As part of this effort, Dykema has implemented certain safety protocols utilizing CDC, OSHA and other available guidance. All new hires must be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to legal exemptions.
DykemaWhy Work Here?
Dykema provides competitive salary and benefits, including transportation assistance, and a collaborative work environment.
Dykema Gossett PLLC, a leading national law firm, serves clients around the world from our strategically situated offices in Michigan, Illinois, Washington, D.C., Texas, California, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Unparalleled client service is at the heart of our approach to the practice of law. We hire the best and the brightest talents and instill in all a commitment to our clients’ satisfaction and the achievement of their business and legal goals. Dykema is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is a proud equal opportunity employer. Dykema continues to strive to maintain a workplace that is free from recognized hazards and to promote the health and well-being of our employees, their families, and those who visit our offices. As part of this effort, Dykema has implemented certain safety protocols utilizing CDC, OSHA and other available guidance. All new hires must be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to legal exemptions.