- Expired: January 29, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
Position Title: Field Coordinator FLSA Status: Salaried; exempt
Department: Coastal Ecology Program (CEP) Salary Range: $35-45K (based on qualifications)
Location: Duxbury Beach
Hours: 30-40 hours; including weekends, nights & holidays between April and September
Schedule: Year-round; telework options available during the off-season (October-March)
About the Organization: The Duxbury Beach Reservation, Inc., a 501(c)(3) charitable corporation, owns approximately 4.5 miles of Duxbury Beach, a 7.5-mile long barrier beach that extends from Marshfield in the north to Gurnet Point and Saquish in the south. The Reservation's mission is to preserve Duxbury Beach to safeguard the adjacent bays and mainland, protect wildlife and vegetation while welcoming the public to enjoy.
Nature of Work: The purpose of this position is to assist in the protection of the listed shorebird species Piping Plover (Charadrius melodus) and Least Tern (Sternula antillarum). Employee will oversee biological field work and provide administrative assistance for the Endangered Species Program (ESP), a subset of the Coastal Ecology Program (CEP). The Field Coordinator will manage supervisory and administrative tasks, including but not limited to training, scheduling, and supervising Endangered Species Program staff according to provided protocols on the following: predator tracking, avian community composition, vegetation surveys etc. Interact with the public to provide information and answer questions as necessary. Communicate beach rules and regulations to beachgoers in a polite and professional manner.
Responsibilities and Duties: The responsibilities and duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or logical assignment to the position.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of Endangered Species Program (ESP)
- Participate in long-term planning efforts for the CEP and ESP
- Understand and implement the Massachusetts Habitat Conservation Plan for Piping Plover Certificate of Inclusion and the Duxbury Beach Management & Habitat Conservation Plan
- Understand and abide by Duxbury Beach Rules & Regulations
- Work with Coastal Ecology Manager to determine budget, staffing, and inventory needs for ESP
- Communicate year round with Town of Duxbury Beach Operations staff regarding ESP activities on the beach
- Assist in the management of High Pines building and DBR vehicles, including managing scheduled maintenance of vehicles and working with other DBR staff and volunteers to manage inventory, utilities, and upkeep of buildings (including winterization and opening of High Pines building), particularly as related to ESP
- Assist in managing special projects as requested
Endangered Species Program:
- Manage hiring, onboarding, and training for Endangered Species Program (ESP) positions
- Manage training programs for ESP seasonal employees, Town of Duxbury Beach Operations staff, and CEP (including ESP) volunteers as needed
- Manage payroll submission for ESP employees
- Supervise all ESP and provide clear expectations regarding responsibilities
- Provide frequent performance-related feedback, and conduct performance evaluations at the end of the season for ESP staff
- Manage all protection efforts including symbolic fencing, signage, barriers, and other management techniques as needed under the DBR Certificate of Inclusion and Conservation and Management Permit.
- Assist Monitor Supervisors and Field Technicians with field duties as needed for the protection of nesting piping plover and least tern and fulfillment of the DBR Certificate of Inclusion and Conservation and Management Permit
- Supervise, assist, and review all data capture for the ESP with the assistance of program staff
- Complete weekly and end-of-season reporting in fulfillment of town, state, and federal permit requirements and as part of DBR's communication and outreach plan
- Manage daily and weekly communications with Town of Duxbury Beach Ops staff and other town staff as requested to ensure beach operations and enforcement are timely and accurate
- Manage, on behalf of DBR, in-field and other weekly meetings with Town of Duxbury Beach Ops staff
- Manage ESP staff in special projects as needed (i.e. mobility mat installation and removal, invasive plant removal, trash pick-up)
- Carry out other duties as required
Recommended Minimum Qualifications:
- Applicants with a B.S. or B.A. or higher in wildlife biology/management or related field, or equivalent work experience, are strongly preferred. A minimum of two years of professional experience in avian monitoring or a similar field, including one year of supervisory experience
- Familiarity with Massachusetts piping plover habitat conservation plan
- Thorough understanding of Federal and State Endangered Species Acts, Massachusetts Barrier Beach guidelines and Federal Barrier Beach guidelines.
- Experience collecting behavioral data and knowledge of coastal wildlife management issues; additional experience with wildlife tracking preferred
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers, subordinate employees, the public, and ability to carry out specific tasks as assigned by the Coastal Ecology Manager
- Interest or willingness to learn about the Duxbury Beach Management & Habitat Conservation Plan
- Must be able to work long hours outside in all weather conditions and be able to lift and carry up to 60lbs across varied and sandy terrain
- Be prepared to work outdoors with exposure to extreme weather conditions in secluded areas. Practice extreme care and safety precautions while on the job including following special safety precautions, training, and wear protective clothing such as coats, hats, sunglasses, boots, etc.
- Field Coordinator will be required to find their own housing as well as reliable transportation to and from work. Use of personal vehicle may be required to access remote sections of the beach
- Field Coordinator will be required to provide their own field equipment including but not limited to: binoculars, protective clothing, pocket knife, computer (for office/admin work)
Special Requirements: Valid Driver's License and ability to operate related program equipment and vehicles. Specific vision abilities required include close, medium, and distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus and distinguish colors and shapes. Visual demands include reading documents and routinely reviewing non-written materials such as instrumentation for analytical purposes. Auditory demands include communicating with others on a regular basis and distinguishing between different types of bird calls. Ability to use hands and fingers to calibrate and use field equipment such as binoculars and tablets.
Supervision Received: Reports directly to the Coastal Ecology Manager under the general supervision of the Duxbury Beach Reservation's Executive Director. Required to communicate routinely with all DBR staff and Town of Duxbury Beach Operations staff.
Supervisory Responsibility: Responsible for the supervision and scheduling field technicians, monitor supervisors, and shorebird monitors. Employee, as a regular and continuing part of the job, is accountable for the quality and quantity of work done by Monitors and assures the accomplishment of the assigned work in the prescribed manner. Supervisory tasks typically consist of most of the following: plans, schedules and coordinates work operations to meet schedules, deadlines and priorities; revises work schedules to meet changes in workload or availability of manpower; recommends and justifies to higher levels of management changes in the organization of work, work methods or assignment of functions to positions that may affect staffing patterns, costs, work standards, etc.; assures that completed work meets the required standard of quality, timeliness and cost, taking corrective actions as necessary; oversees attendance and leave, typically including approval or ordinary sick and vacation schedules; advises employees or performance requirements and prepares formal evaluations of performance; resolves employee complaints and effects disciplinary actions, oral warnings and reprimands.
Duxbury Beach Reservation
Transportation and Storage
Get fresh Field Service Coordinator jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.