Dunson & Associates is seeking Physician Assistants for a full-time contract to support our client correctional center’s inmate health services in Petersburg, VA. New Physician Assistant graduates are welcomed to apply.Travel stipend may be offered.
Work days and hours: Monday through Friday, between 5:30 am to 4:00 pm, excluding Federal Holidays, with a thirty (30) minute unpaid lunch break.
Description of Duties:
The Physician Assistant is responsible for the provision of services as listed below:
- Works collaboratively with the staff physician(s) and consulting physician(s) in planning, instituting, evaluating and revising program plans; assists in determining conditions, resources and policies essential to delivery of the health care services.
- Discriminates between normal and abnormal findings to recognize early stages of serious physical, emotional, or mental problems.
- Incumbent manages the daily operation of the clinic and conducts daily sick call; which may also include securing health and developmental history from the patient, recording findings and making critical evaluations.
- Provides a wide range of emergency services, in the absence of the physician, including primary care for trauma and life-saving procedures.
- Performs minor surgical procedures such as: incision and drainage; suturing of lacerations; removal of cysts; and removal/repair of ingrown toe nails; after consultation with the physician.
- Prescribes medications and treatment for illnesses. Prior to dispensing, must call attention to any synergistic, antagonistic and cumulative effects of the medications prescribed.
- Serves as the primary provider for routine requests for evaluation of new complaints, for routine recurring visits for chronic illnesses, and emergencies when clinically indicated.
- Establishes diagnostic impressions and requests appropriate diagnostic tests (e.g., laboratory, x-ray, visual acuity and electrocardiogram) and ability to interpret results and selected laboratory findings to include the following:
- - Clinical Laboratory - urinalysis, complete blood counts, staining and examination of smears for bacteria, blood glucose, audio hearing tests.
- - Radiology - preliminary interpretation of radiographs to identify gross abnormalities such as fractures, etc.
- - Optometry - screening for distance and near vision by use of charts and visual screening machines.
- - Electrocardiograph Operations - operates electrocardio- graphic machine and has basic concepts of interpretation of the tracing to detect abnormalities.
- - Dental - able to perform screening dental examinations, charting and recognizing gross abnormalities of the gum and teeth by means of percussion and palpation and interpretation of dental radiographs.
- - Mental Health - capable of screening for gross mood change, disoriented patterns of behavior, or speech. Takes brief psychiatric, drug, and alcohol abuse history. General knowledge to identify a particular mental disorder such as depression or anxiety and provides emergency treatment and care.
- Evaluates total health care needs of patients and develops plans to meet these needs.
- Makes decisions concerning medical care needs of the patient with the supervising physician. Assists the supervisory physician(S) in management of chronic health problems and assists the physician(s) in performing more exhaustive diagnosis and treatments. Teaches and demonstrates the application of good health practices to patients.
- Will assist and work collaboratively with the physician in management of selected complex medical problems. Makes decisions concerning medical care needs of the patient with the physician, as well as decisions regarding special needs. May assist the physician in performing more exhaustive diagnosis and treatment.
- Enters pertinent clinical information in medical records and must ensure data is current and legible.
- The Physician Assistant must be a graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant Program
- Completion of two (2) years of documented work experience as a physician assistant is preferred.
- New Physician Assistant graduates are welcomed to apply.
- Contractor must show proof of practical experience, education, and licensure. The Physician Assistant must be CPR certified.