Biologist I- 3 Year Term Positions- Multiple Locations
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Biologist (Three 3-Year Term Positions)
Prairie Wetland/Grassland Restoration & Enhancement - Minnesota
Great Lakes Atlantic Region
Morris, MN- 2 Openings
Fergus Fall, MN- 1 Opening
Ducks Unlimited, Inc. has three employment opportunities for 3-Year Term Biologists in western Minnesota based in the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service’s (USFWS Wetland Management District Office in Morris, MN and Fergus Falls, MN. These positions have a tentative start date of January 2023. These positions will report to DU’s Regional Biologist in Fergus Falls, Minnesota.
- Work with DU’s NW Minnesota regional biologist and U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service biologists to plan, design and hire/supervise contractors to restore and enhance prairie pothole wetlands and grasslands on USFWS easements and Waterfowl Production Areas (WPA).
- Use GIS, aerial photos, and other office resources to plan field investigations with U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service biologists to identify drained wetlands and previously restored wetlands in need of enhancement and improvement (such as tree removal and dike/structure repair).
- Conduct field investigations (solo and with DU or USFWS biologists) to locate drained and degraded wetlands in need of restoration or enhancement.
- Use soil core sampler, tile probe, and other field tools to gather data to inform restoration/enhancement plans.
- Use Trimble GPS survey equipment to gather elevational data. Combine elevational data with watershed analyses to inform wetland restoration and enhancement designs.
- Work with DU and USFWS biologists and engineers to develop wetland restoration and enhancement plans, including sediment, tile, and tree removal, ditch plugs, and small berms.
- Work with DU and USFWS biologists to plan site restoration/enhancement needs, develop contractor bid requests for wetland and native grassland restoration/enhancement work.
- Assist DU and USFWS biologists with management of wetland restoration contracts, including field oversight of contractor activities for quality control and to ensure adequate performance.
- On larger projects, assist engineers and other DU staff with bidding projects, writing contracts, tracking subcontracts, change orders, insurance/bonding requirements, and lien releases.
- Track activities and report findings and accomplishments to DU Regional Biologist and Manager of Conservation Programs for internal DU tracking and public grant reporting.
- Review, verify, and submit invoices for payment from vendors and contractors.
- Use camera and video equipment to visually document field findings and before/after wetland restoration and enhancement project accomplishments, make GIS maps of completed project locations, and write brief informative project summaries to communicate accomplishments.
- Communicate project plans, activities, and accomplishments with DU and USFWS staff, other conservation agency and local government unit colleagues, private landowners, and the media.
Key Qualities, Skills, and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree in wildlife management or related natural resource field preferred.
- Proficient with ArcGIS (ArcMap or ArcPro), including creating and editing layers, generating maps, and using ArcGIS On-line.
- Experience using Trimble GPS survey equipment to gather elevation data.
- Experience using mobile ESRI products such as Field Maps.
- Basic knowledge of earth moving and tree removal techniques and public works requirements.
- Proficient with MS Office software programs including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Basic understanding of prairie wetland ecology, management, restoration, and enhancement.
- Basic understanding of prairie farming and drainage history and techniques.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of wetland restoration and enhancement techniques.
- Working knowledge of soil core sampler, tile probe, and other basic field equipment.
- Experience operating ATVs and UTVs and towing these machines on trailers.
- Able to walk long distances in difficult prairie and wetland conditions.
- Ability to work in the field in inclement weather, including hot, cold, and wet conditions.
- Ability to work alone in remote field locations for extended periods of time.
- Willingness to work long days in the field to accomplish objectives and minimize travel.
- Willingness to travel up to 3 hours from Morris, MN for field work.
- Willingness to travel overnight for up to 3 nights in a week if required to work remote field sites.
- Willingness to use a personal vehicle on rare occasions for travel with reimbursement at federal mileage rate. A truck will be provided for use on work-related activities.
- Well-organized and detail oriented, and ability to take good field notes for later use in office.
- A willingness to learn and to freely ask questions for clarification.
- Able to work with minimal supervision, as well as part of a team.
- Professional demeanor while working in both office and field settings, and the ability to work with a variety of people including DU and USFWS staff, contractors, and private landowners.
These are 3-year Term Positions with state Outdoor Heritage Fund grant support, and with strong potential for continuation in future years as performance and additional workload warrants.
PAY DETAILS: Starting annual salary: $53,000 - Salary commensurate with experience.
BENEFITS PACKAGE: We work hard to encourage everyone at Ducks Unlimited to bring their authentic selves to work every day. DU offers an exceptional benefit package that includes comprehensive group medical, prescription, dental, and vision insurance, including spouse and dependent coverage; three weeks paid vacation; paid sick leave and 10 paid holidays; 401(k) plan (including partial employer match); and tuition reimbursement.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and three references by Sunday, December 4, 2022. For more information regarding this position, please contact Doug McClain, Northwest MN Regional Biologist, Ducks Unlimited, Inc.; Phone: 218-671-3565 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
DUCKS UNLIMITED, INC. IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of Ducks Unlimited, Inc. to afford equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 or over), disability (physical, mental or visual), genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), military and veteran status, immigration status, or any other category protected by federal, state or local law.
Ducks Unlimited, Inc.
ScienceView all jobs at Ducks Unlimited, Inc.
Get fresh Biologist jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.