As an Optometric Technician, you will be part of a family-owned practice with a patient-oriented team that provides professional, caring, and personalized eye care. You will be an instrumental part of a growing business and in turn make a major impact and get recognition for your work. As a team we strive to help you achieve your personal and professional goals.
Perform clerical and clinical duties under the direction of a doctor. Clerical duties include maintaining professional appearance of office, scheduling appointments, maintaining medical records, billing and coding information for insurance purposes, and ordering office and pharmaceutical supplies. Clinical duties include taking medical histories, conducting pre-tests on patients, and performing insertion/removal training of contact lenses as directed by doctor.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
1. Schedule and maintain appointment book.
2. Check patients in and out for every examination.
3. Verify and enter patient insurance information using appropriate billing and coding procedures.
4. Prepare, file, and maintain patient charts.
5. Conduct daily pre-appointment calls.
6. Obtain and record patients’ medical history.
7. Conduct, assist, and guide patients through pre-test examinations (e.g., visual acuity, auto refractor, tonometer, retinal camera/imaging, color vision, depth perception).
8. Conduct, train, and assist patients with insertion/removal of contact lenses under doctor’s guidance.
9. Prepare equipment in exam rooms for medical examination by cleaning and adjusting, as needed.
10. Conduct daily upkeep and cleaning of medical equipment and work areas.
11. Prepare and complete daily exam tracking sheets.
12. Monitor, order, and maintain office supplies and pharmaceuticals needed by doctor.
13. Use personal judgment and initiative to develop effective and constructive solutions to potential challenges with clerical and medical duties.
o Prefer previous work experience as a medical technician, preferably as an optometric technician.
o Prefer ability to conduct tasks and guide patients in both English and Spanish.
o Must be proficient and work effectively with Microsoft Office Suite software.
o Must be available to work weekends.
o Ability to effectively communicate in verbal and written expression.
o Excellent customer service skills.
o Must have reliable transportation.