The Dobbs Truck Group, and its wholly owned subsidiaries; Dobbs Peterbilt, LLC and Western Truck Parts and Equipment Company, LLC (WTPE), operates 28 Peterbilt, Volvo, Mack, and Hino truck dealerships in the States of Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and California.
I. General Job Description
The Director of Service reports to the President and utilizes their knowledge and negotiation skills to define and implement the company’s strategic plans and objectives for its Service Operations and ensures management controls and best practices are shared across all operations. This requires effective and ongoing communications with the senior management team.
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Service/Body Business Plan Objectives:
- Determines companywide Service/Body revenue growth objectives.
- Service/Body Gross Profit margins are maintained at or above the target.
- Expenses are minimized and properly controlled.
- Service/Body Net Profits are maintained above at or above the target.
- Capital Expenditures are planned and defined.
- Variance is monitored between plan and actual. Corrective action is taken as appropriate.
- Maintain a competitive door rate.
- Conformance to OEM dealer Standard of Excellent requirements.
- Service/Body Managers are knowledgeable on latest OEM products and services.
- OEM and supplier IT systems are used to efficiently access information
Service Department facilities are all well maintained
Safety and environmental practices conform to labor and industry requirements.
Work Order Management Meets Company Standards
- Customer disputes are managed in a professional and timely manner.
- Customer satisfaction is measured and corrective action is taken as appropriate.
- Employee training is ongoing and development records maintained.
- Continuing service technician training and education opportunities are encouraged.
- Employee turnover is minimized.
- Overtime premium pay is monitored and controlled.
- Staff projects a professional image.
- Overall service staff proficiency is at 85 percent or higher.
- Promotes service specials and truck care programs.
- Engine certification capabilities are promoted.
- Maintains competitive hours of operation.
- Work with the company’s vendors and Warranty Manager to ensure the timely filing and collecting of all warranty claims.
II. Minimum Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10 years of experience in the transportation industry
III. Desired Job Qualifications
- Proven experience in customer service
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Strong organization and communication skills
- Strong leadership and managerial skills
IV. Mental Capability Requirements
Ability to understand opposing points of view on highly complex issues and to negotiate and integrate different viewpoints
Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules of others on long-term basis
- Reasoning and Decision Making
Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the department’s credibility, operations, and services
Ability to formulate complex and comprehensive materials such as legal documents, authoritative reports, official publications of major scope and impact, etc., and to make formal presentations.
Ability to compute, analyze, and interpret complex statistical data and/or to develop forecasts and computer models
V. Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
VI. Common Expectations of Performance for all Employees
The following includes common expectations for all employees of the company. The evaluation of your job performance will be based on these common expectations as well as the position-specific responsibilities described above.
Communications, Teamwork and Feedback to Others:
- Contribute to a work environment that is based on trust and respect.
- Have discussions on a regular basis with your manager to discuss opportunities to best achieve individual performance objectives and departmental goals.
- Suggest ways to improve the efficiency of conducting your job duties.
- Promote continuous improvement and change to support company growth
- Mentor others unselfishly.
- Give credit where it’s due.
Company Loyal Policies and Work Ethic
- Adhere to the policies contained in the Employee Handbook.
- Adhere to the company’s Employee Conduct Policy.
- Support management decisions toward meeting company goals.
- Be open and receptive to new ideas, regardless of their origin.
- Make prudent decisions which are based on the best interest of the company and its long term future.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Dobbs Truck Group is the parent company of two subsidiary companies, Dobbs Peterbilt, LLC and Western Truck Parts and Equipment Company, LLC.
Dobbs Peterbilt and Western Truck Parts are equal opportunity employers that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. Dobbs Peterbilt and Western Truck Parts do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, ancestry, pregnancy, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation or marital status; or on the basis of age against persons whose age is 40 and over, or on the basis of physical or mental disability; or to disabled veterans or to Vietnam veterans.
We are proud to be an affirmative action employer, and encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and veterans to join our team.
Please notify our receptionist if you need any accommodation or assistance with any part of our process by calling 1-800-255-7383
Dobbs Truck Group
Why Work Here?The Dobbs Truck Group strives to be the premier truck dealer group by consistently delivering valued solutions that drive superior customer results. We are a leading full-service retailer of new and used Class 5-8 commercial vehicles and provider of aftermarket parts, service, and financing solutions.
The Dobbs Truck Group invests in the future and well-being of its employees by offering competitive benefits and internal advancement.