The Formulation Scientist is responsible for leading R&D efforts to develop new and innovative formulas and scale-up benchmark products including topical and semi-solid formulations using innovative technology. This position will serve as a technical expert in being a part of the concept to commercialization of products. Within a team environment, they bring new and unique ideas to the company, produce quality products, and deliver on ambitious goals.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES &TASKS
- Develop and review specifications for new products for suitability within existing manufacturing systems
- Recommend applicable testing based on product specification and written procedures
- Optimize formulations to improve product cost and efficacy
- Review and interpret analytical data related to all new and innovative products
- Conducts patent searches to determine freedom to operate with a new formulation
- Creates project timelines in accordance with marketing priorities, and sets milestones/critical path for project completion
- Support with stability and production processes
- Ability to evaluate technical issues and provide recommendations for corrective actions
- Support product registration documentation and product chemistry packages to meet regulatory requirements
- Assist and train co-workers, lab assistants and analysts as required
Education & Experience
- Ph.D (preferred) in chemistry or pharmaceutical technology
- 5+ years of practical work experience in formulation science
- 3+ years of experience leading new product formulations and customer evaluations.
- Background in phytocannabinoids and lipophyllic compounds
- Understanding of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics when it comes to formulation development
- Awareness of steps in a product application submission process
- Familiarity of ISO and GMP regulations
- Excellent understanding and working knowledge of formulation and analytical instruments, not limited to chromatography (UPLC, HPLC, GC, TLC) and spectroscopic technologies (UV, IR) and Karl Fisher
- Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present
- Contact with cannabis and cannabis products
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR THIS ROLE
- A creative and innovative thinker with data analysis and critical evaluation capabilities
- A skilled project manager with a “hands-on” approach to getting the job done
- A driven self-starter with intense attention to detail in a deadline-driven environment
- A proven team player with superb written and oral communication skills.
Diteba is committed to providing accessible employment practices that follow the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Upon request, we will, in consultation with the applicant, determine the nature of any accommodation that may be required.