Clinical Apheresis Nurse
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Discovery Life Sciences is a trusted provider of quality biospecimens and laboratory services to hundreds of researchers across the U.S. and around the world. The Apheresis Nurse contributes to our mission by monitoring, cultivating, expanding, and improving the processes and staff under the Discovery Life Sciences Donor Clinic.
- Bachelor's of Science in Nursing, preferred not required
Certifications/License/Registration Requirements :
- Current RN license in state of employment
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS).
- 2-3 years of nursing experience - preferably with hospital setting and/or dialysis unit
- Excellent venipuncture skills
- Prior experience with apheresis preferred
- Able to move required equipment such as apheresis machines, vital signs monitors, equipment carts
- Ability to maintain composure (stress management) in emergency situations, as the workflow frequently requires that multiple tasks be performed in rapid succession
- Must be able to tolerate the sight of body fluids including blood/blood products, as well as tolerate unpleasant odors of various specimens and chemicals
- Physically able to lift up to 30 pounds and stand/walk for extended periods of time
- Excellent computer skills to include Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs.
- Manages all aspects of the applicable apheresis procedure(s) while adhering to cGMP/GTP, FACT, AABB and Discovery Life Sciences policies and procedures.
- Works collaboratively with other RN apheresis staff to effectively manage daily workflow of multiple adult donors and be able to adapt to unpredictable situations within the clinical setting
- Successfully complete and pass the Spectra Optia Apheresis System training and skills assessment
- Assess donor medical history and clinical condition for procedural concerns, risks, and contraindications to the apheresis procedure
- Determine whether donors meet the criteria to participate in apheresis procedure(s) by following Discovery Life Sciences policies, Regulatory guidelines, and clinical judgement
- Serve as a resource for the patient by providing comprehensive education at all phases of the apheresis procedure and care. Must be able to adapt education to the learning needs and/or level of the donor.
- Conduct scheduling of apheresis donors and notifying donors of their appointment times
- Obtain laboratory blood sample results and report lab results according to Discovery Life Sciences policies and Regulatory guidelines
- Independently follow standing orders to perform apheresis procedures for all donors
- Monitor donors throughout the procedure and be able to make quick clinical decisions to best suit the donor’s safety and care
- Communicates with Apheresis Nurse Manager and other team members to address potential and immediate clinical concerns.
- Thoroughly document donor information by charting in donor medical record
- Operates and maintains apheresis and equipment per manufacturer standards.
- Maintains Discovery Donor Clinic maintenance, cleaning, and other necessary logs/documents
- Reviews Discovery Life Sciences policies to report any changes in processes based on the changing needs of the Discovery Donor Clinic.
- Maintains adequate and cost-effective supply levels for the apheresis services department. Ensures availability of safely functioning supplies and equipment for efficient donor care and employee workflow.
- Provides backup in other Discovery Donor Clinic roles as needed to accommodate staffing
- Participates in staff meetings, leadership activities, and quality improvement activities as assigned
- Completes annual competencies and training sessions
- Acquires continuing education hours, as required per the state of licensure
- Serves as a resource person to contribute to the training and education of other Clinical Apheresis Nurses
- Reports any quality improvement indicators to achieve quality standards and improve donor outcomes.
- Performs other duties within the realm of competency, as assigned.
- Assist with donor recruitment functions inside and outside of normal business hours
- Maintain cleanliness, safety compliance, and universal precautions in all work practices, remaining compliant with all health, safety and infection control requirements
- Respect the privacy of the personal information of patients, co-workers, and all individuals with whom the Discovery Life Sciences interacts
- Ensure compliance with all laws and regulations applicable to Discovery Life Sciences and its operations
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor. These may, on occasion, be unrelated to the position described here.
- Consistent and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position.
- Role is required ON-SITE
Discovery Life Sciences is proud to be an equal opportunity employer – Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law.
Discovery Life Sciences
HealthcareView all jobs at Discovery Life Sciences
Get fresh Apheresis RN jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.