DinÃ© College Shiprock, NM
- Posted: over a month ago
This position is to conduct Extension Education in the areas of Livestock, Farming, Rangeland and Youth Development for the Northern and Eastern regions of the Navajo Nation. Extension Agent will develop workshops, training and provide one-on-one technical services to Navajo Farmers and Ranchers. In addition, look for external funding sources to create new programs and projects for Navajo Farmers, Ranchers and Youth. This position will require travel between the communities of Northern and Eastern Navajo. This position does not come with housing.
Duty Schedule: Primary duties are Monday through Friday. However, will be required to work on weekend and beyond 5 pm daily. Must be able to meet a flexible schedule. This position will end on August 31, 2022.
- Must have knowledge of farm, gardens, greenhouse, dry land and irrigated farming, vegetable and forage production, ground preparation, planting, irrigation, pest control, harvest and post-harvest operations. In addition, have knowledge of and ability to teach principles of farm management including plants and plant communities, soil fertility, water harvesting,storage and delivery, irrigation and water management, and other best management and treatment practices. Required to provide technical services in the topics around agriculture. Must have the ability to plan, organize program applicable to improving Navajo agriculture. Must be willing to partners on developing programs. Example - partnering with New Mexico State University, Navajo Technical University, and United States Department of Agriculture programs. Must have experience with working with grant-funded projects, reporting, and budgeting.
- Skills must include communicating effectively, orally and written. Must be able to present to large audiences, prepare presentation with power point, and prepare handouts. Must have skills in establishing and maintaining a sound, effective relationship with varied stakeholders. Must be able to communicate well with supervisors, document progress and program development, and turn in reports in a timely manner.
- The Extension Agent is required to work in an environment that can be physically challenging and work in a team setting to get larger programs established.
- High School Diploma with 2-4 years of post secondary (higher education) in the fields of natural resource, agriculture, environmental science and biology.
- A Bachelor's degree in Natural Resources, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Biology or a closely related field. 2 year demonstration of progressive responsible and successful experience engaging, mentoring and working with farmers, gardeners and ranchers, coordinating trainings at community-based organizations and/or schools.
EducationView all jobs at DinÃ© College