Digital First Media San Rafael, CA
- Expired: August 11, 2020. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Marin Independent Journal, a subsidiary of MediaNews Group, is seeking a Sports Reporter to join the team! MediaNews Group offers news reporting and third party advertising and marketing opportunities through its multi-platform products which include: web, mobile, tablet, and print. We are one of the largest media groups in the U.S., serving high-value audiences and connecting advertisers to them. MNG publishes award-winning content (49 Pulitzers) that amasses and engages a nationwide audience via 800 multi-media platforms including web, mobile, social, and print. We are transforming the news industry.
The Marin Independent Journal is an award-winning daily newspaper just north of San Francisco, and covers Marin County's eleven cities and towns. We are a dynamic and fast-paced daily with an intelligent readership and a variety of interesting community issues. We're looking for a strong sports writer who is curious and thoughtful, pays keen attention to detail and is fired up about using digital tools to tell stories.
The position is sports reporter with some desk editing and production work. As reporter, you will cover Marin County sports scene. Heavy emphasis will be on covering high school sports, as well as teams at our junior college and our small private university.
- Assignments will include features, profiles and news involving the overall Marin athletic scene, which includes recreational activities such as running and bicycling.
- Production responsibilities, including developing the budget and working with designers to produce and proof the print pages.
- Versatility is a must, as stories will cover a wide variety of topics, from city and county government to community events.
- Proficient in taking his/her own photos and producing their own videos and must be able to write, take photos and produce videos on deadline and in a fast paced environment.
- Along with producing stories that are assigned, the reporter should also be able to pitch their own story ideas on a regular basis.
- The candidate must be able to research and develop stories to the utmost accuracy.
- Produce short web hits.
- Produce social media content, including Tweets, live videos and live blogging.
- Write long, enterprise-style pieces for our section fronts.
- Bachelor’s or Associate's degree (with comparable experience) in journalism or related field.
- Solid knowledge and experience in covering all sports played by these teams, including football, basketball, soccer, baseball, tennis, track, swimming, lacrosse, wrestling and volleyball.
- The Reporter must have ability to write on deadlines for print and web and be able to compile local briefs roundup on deadline from phone calls, emails and other social media.
- Experience and flexibility to handle news-side general assignments, especially in current down time for local sports.
- Experience in both photography and video, and a willingness to experiment with new storytelling tools and social media approaches.
- A mindset to put the reader first.
- Ability to oversee print production of the section.
- Familiarity with social media tools.
- Flexibility in night and/or weekend work.
- The capability to build sources and juggle multiple stories of varying complexity while working efficiently on deadline is desired.
- Some experience in copy editing a bonus.
- Curiosity is a must.
Digital First Media
AddressSan Rafael, CA
Arts and EntertainmentView all jobs at Digital First Media