Scope of Position
In the Residential Department at the Pacoima site (a 24 hour a day / 7 day a week facility), an assistant counselor assists the professional counseling staff to provide comprehensive counseling and crisis intervention for clients in a residential facility for women and children.
Hours / Shifts Needed
Candidates needed for the following shifts (including weekends and holidays) Monday-Friday 2:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Assists with client related residential services; responding to emergencies, maintaining safety and security of clients in the facility.
- Facilitates client activity groups for adults residing and/or being treated in Via Avanta programs.
- Assesses and monitors client daily activity schedule and, prepares then submits client participation reports to the Program Director and counseling staff.
- Provides and participates in crisis intervention, as well as facilitates conflict resolution among the program participants as needed.
- Participates in providing 24-hour coverage; which includes working evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation of client self-administered medication, and ensures compliance with Agency policies and procedures and County/other public agency regulations.
- Conducts phone referrals, performs intake screenings, as well as prepares and files client charts for the adult residential program.
- Assists with scheduling client transportation to appointments with other community support services.
- Conducts routine walk-through of program facility; notes problems and prepares a physical plant and client safety status report.
- Develops and maintains counseling skills through seminars, workshops, or other forms of training related to substance abuse prevention.
- Attends and participates in program and Agency staff meetings, and all other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- The ability/flexibility to work varied hours including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Associates Degree in Human Services or related field; a minimum of 1 year experience preferred.
- Preferred AOD registered
- Knowledge of HIPAA policies and their documentation guidelines, licensing, and other state and federal regulations relating to residential psychiatric programs.
- Knowledge of residential mental health programming, psychiatric crisis intervention, documentation, group counseling, multicultural and socio-economic issues.
- Basic advocacy skills.
- Skilled in presenting ideas, information, and viewpoints clearly, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience using Microsoft Office products, and all other clinical databases.
- Ability to use analysis, experience, and good judgement to make decisions.
- A willingness to adapt to changing needs by acquiing new skills and knowledge.
- First Aid, CPR certification required for all Residential counselors. Non-certified individuals hired into the position must be willing to complete certification course within 30 days of employment.
- Current California driver's license and a driving record acceptable to the Agency's insurance carrier.
Requisition Number: 19-10226
Post Date: 12/4/2019
Title: Assistant Counselor
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Pay Frequency: Semi-Monthly