- Posted: over a month ago
PURPOSE: The purpose of GIS Specialist is to perform a variety of analytical and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) assignments that provide for the development, enhancement, and maintenance of the utility’s GIS by providing necessary data, drawings, and assistance to aid in the planning, design, analysis, installation, maintenance of the utility’s electric distribution system, and fiber optic networks.
- Assists in the maintenance of the utility’s GIS, by obtaining, updating and implementing all information pertaining to the electric distribution system that is provided by the engineering and operations departments through staking sheets and various other reports.
- Utilizes GIS based products to update maps and to maintain and update graphical libraries, symbol libraries, and databases
- Responsible for the creation/maintenance of all equipment locations and related connects/disconnects of equipment records in the utility’s EIS.
- Obtains, updates and implements all information relating to the utility’s transportation and land-use datasets such as roadways, waterways, and state, county, township, city and individual property boundaries.
- Maintains GIS data integrity by obtaining and integrating pertinent customer and equipment information through a dynamic link between the Customer Information System (CIS), EIS and GIS.
- Interfaces with Engineering, Operations, and other departments to proactively identity GIS-related needs and cooperatively evaluate, select, and implement appropriate solutions to meet those needs.
- Sets standards and provides oversight of quality control for all GIS database system related drawings and information to maintain data integrity of geodatabases. Oversees third party vendor activities for accuracy and standards compliance.
- Assists in the preparation of system planning and operational studies (such as construction work plans, long range plans, and sectionalizing studies) by providing the system engineer(s) with an updated electric distribution system model to be used in performing engineering analysis and incorporating the results of these analyses into the utility’s GIS.
- Works with end users, management, technical staff, associates, consultants, and vendors to investigate and translate requests into project requirements, and further, into definitions and specifications for data acquisition, management, and presentation.
- Provides necessary GIS data, drawings, and assistance required by employees to aid in the planning, design, analysis, installation and maintenance of the electric distribution system and fiber optics network.
- Provides all pertinent GIS data, drawings, and assistance to external engineering firms and/or governmental agencies for use in a regional GIS.
- Responsible for transmitting and receiving GIS data to/from outside design consultants including installation of required software and training.
- Provides training in use of GIS and electronic staking program as directed, and provide quality control related to use of electronic staking program.
- Creates and revises drawings, graphic displays and exhibits as directed.
- Uses several different computer software packages such as GE SmallWorld, Milsoft products to customize and enhance the performance of the GIS and maintain the accuracy of the utility’s connectivity model.
- Recommends to the Director of Engineering where improved efficiencies for the networking, usability, and operation of GIS technology and related hardware and software may exist. Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively with other departments.
- Performs complex analysis, design, testing, documentation, and implementation of project definitions and specifications. Designs and maintains data files and structures as needed.
- Designs and develops spatial queries to maximize the value of the Utility’s various datasets.
- Assist with installs and troubleshoots problems with the GIS mapping system, assists with installation of applications and upgrades, and assists users in resolving software problems.
- Proficiently operates a personal computer, plotter, printer and copy machine. Efficiently uses Windows based software including, but not limited to, Microsoft Windows, Excel and Word.
- Assists in the maintenance of department files pertaining to electric distribution system equipment.
- Keeps informed on the Utility’s policies, plans, programs and rates. Attends safety meetings, training and other employee meetings as required.
- Promotes a safety culture in which safety is a value. This culture is based on joint and individual engagement, ownership, and accountability regarding job safety and responsibility to perform work safely and adhere to safe work practices.
- Practices proper traffic procedures and complies with all traffic laws, rules and regulations while operating an Association vehicle, and performs the essential functions of the position in a safe and efficient manner.
- Cares for and maintains all Association assigned equipment and supplies.
- Performs other duties as necessary or required.
EDUCATION and/or EXERIENCE:
Associates Degree from an accredited college, with major coursework in geography, computer science, planning with one (1) to two (2) years’ experience in GIS, mapping, or related field; or any equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties.
SPECIAL SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Methods and techniques of implementing and deploying GIS related applications and solutions using a variety of technologies.
- General knowledge of GIS hardware, software, server-based applications, and web-based applications.
- Sufficient understanding of system coordination to be able to determine when and what protective
devices are needed. Ability to effectively communicate with customers, other employees of DES and the general public in a professional businesslike manner.
- Must be able to manage multiple activities, work independently and assume responsibility.
- Must have calm demeanor and the highest degree of integrity, honesty, pleasant disposition,
- dependability and tact, and must treat all DES employees with dignity and respect.
Must be able to maintain composure during difficult situations and be able to discuss and resolve
- issues and maintain open communications to achieve DES goals and objectives.
- Must believe in, be sympathetic with, be interested in furthering the public understanding and
- acceptance of the utility’s objective and be customer service oriented at all times.
- Must be willing to work with all employees in the best interest of the utility and to accept changes in work programs and patterns to keep pace with changing times.
- Able to work 8-hour shifts or longer if emergency situations require.
- Must possess visual acuity and manual dexterity as well as the ability to listen and communicate orally.
- Able to lift up to 25 pounds while working with breakers, small transformers, capacitors and assorted material and be on call for after-hours work.
- Some working at desk, frequently may require field work, which could involve rough terrain and/or climbing on platforms.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- GIS Certification is not required, but preferred.
- Must possess at the time of employment a valid Class D Driver License allowing legal operation of a motor vehicle in Tennessee. Maintaining of the Class D or equivalent license is a continuing condition of employment.
- Must maintain at the time of employment or obtain at a time designated by DES, a valid certification of proficiency in adult CPR, first aid, and AED.
STATEMENT ON POSITION:
This job description and specification is to give the applicant a reasonable expectation of the requirements and responsibilities of the job. It in no way infers that the person will be limited only to the requirements stated. Anything deemed necessary by Management will become an integral part of the job.
Powered by JazzHR
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?